At Rockstar Games, we create world-class entertainment experiences.
A career at Rockstar Games is about being part of a team working on some of the most creatively rewarding and ambitious projects to be found in any entertainment medium. You would be welcomed to a dedicated and inclusive environment where you can learn, and collaborate with some of the most talented people in the industry.
Rockstar Toronto is on the lookout for a talented Hair & Groom Artist who possess a passion for creating character hair to the very highest visual quality and performance standards. This is a full-time permanent position based out of Rockstar’s unique game development studio in Oakville, Ontario.
WHAT WE DO
- We design, create, and populate our game worlds with the characters and creatures that bring the story and play to life, for both our story-driven and online games.
- Our characters are the embodiment of the player’s experiences and their interactions when they play – how they look, feel, and interact with other living things.
- We design-in deep customization functionality to character assets for the game’s requirements.
- We work with a wide range of digital tools for sculpting, modelling, and texture painting, with a fundamental basis in observational art creation and an explicit attention to detail.
- We use other in-house engine tools for cloth and soft-body simulation, and physically based shader/material pipelines to help us create believable characters.
- You’ll join a global team setting very high standards across all our projects, with an exacting production focus and an obsession for getting the details right.
- Work within Character Art asset creation for all our global titles with a specialized focus on Hair and Fur assets.
- Work with Art Direction and Lead Artists to achieve task creative and production goals whilst working under your own initiative within our pipeline.
- Work with the Character and Technical Art teams to derive pragmatic solutions to Hair and Fur-related technical and aesthetic challenges.
- 3+ years of post-secondary educational experience in 2D and 3D art production.
- A comprehensive modelling and texturing portfolio showing 3D character art to a very high standard, with a specific ability in the representation of Hair & Fur creation.
- Demonstrates exceptional Hair and Fur groom creation skills to achieve lookdev goals.
- Proven ability to create relevant form, structure, cut and silhouette for character hairstyles using card based and runtime approaches.
- A full understanding of all current generation production workflows as they pertain to hair asset production, including an understanding of PBR/Lighting pipelines and shader tools.
- Ability to adapt and push results forward as pipelines and approaches evolve for Hair & Fur.
- Extensive experience using Houdini or XGen Grooming Tools.
- Working experience using 3DStudio Max or Maya for Hair Card Creation.
- Demonstrates economical and appropriate creation for runtime assets for use within a game engine.
- Has a detail-obsessed eye for creating digital grooms to specified concept and reference.
- Positive, solution-oriented individual with a sense of humour and passion for making great game art in a team setting.
- Ability to work with bespoke engine toolsets, defined asset workflows, and contribute to overall character department goals and working practices.
- Self-motivated and flexible, with excellent communication skills.
- Consistent delivery of high quality art: on-spec and on-time.
Please note that these are desirable skills and are not required to apply for the position.
- Three or more years of game development experience, ideally having shipped console titles as a character artist with a Hair & Groom specialism.
- An inherent appreciation and understanding of fashion and street style, and era-specific culture as they relate to styling, costuming and dress.
- Strong problem-solving skills. Ability to work in a self-directed manner and to make timely, well thought-out decisions.
- Great interpersonal skills. Must be able to work closely in a team setting and with other dependent departments.
HOW TO APPLY
Please apply with a resume, portfolio, and cover letter demonstrating how you meet the skills above. If we would like to move forward with your application, a Rockstar recruiter will reach out to you to explain next steps and guide you through the process.
Rockstar is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, and we are committed to hiring, promoting, and compensating employees based on their qualifications and demonstrated ability to perform job responsibilities.
If you’ve got the right skills for the job, we want to hear from you. We encourage applications from all suitable candidates regardless of age, disability, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, belief, or race.
Location: Oakville, Ontario, Canada