Vice President of Marketing
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
At Jagex our vision is to be known as a renowned, successful, creatively bold games developer and publisher who is home to many deep, connected and community driven LIVING games. We champion the importance of a high performance and inclusive culture. Living true to our values and mission, we are player obsessed - putting our players and people at the forefront of everything we do.
As a rapidly growing studio, we are now recruiting for a VP of Marketing. As VP of marketing, you will be responsible for leading, developing and managing the Marketing team. You and your team are responsible for ensuring we have industry leading live games marketing activities, and our players are excited and engaged by Jagex product offerings worldwide.
You will lead our Brand Marketing, Creative Services and Digital Marketing teams to success. You will be an expert in building strong stakeholder relationships across the studio and will be embedded across key departments to ensure success. At all times ensuring we have strong player facing marketing activities that are holistic and integrate all elements needed to create excitement amongst players.
A creative lead who will develop, positively challenge, and inspire a high performing team. You will have exceptional Brand and Digital Marketing experience. Including demonstratable success in marketing activity that has leveraged strong franchise marketing execution, and innovation together. You will have experience of marketing technology development, specifically marketing powerful campaigns that have driven player value, and commercial success.
A champion for collaboration between all business areas of the studio and, in particular, Game Development, Technology and Publishing, you will work with other key stakeholders to lead the studio towards greater cross functional working. (Key stakeholders: Executive Producer, Product Management, Product Marketing, Community and Analytics leads all working as one coherent Product Leadership Team)
You’ll have a real passion for leadership, mentoring and development of our people. Understanding the value of a high-performance culture, that is driven, and inspired from the top. You will proactively seek opportunities to elevate your team and highlight to the studio the epic work and value Marketing can deliver.
The key difference you will bring is:
· Your ability to keep pace with future trends.
· Your ability to excite people over your business unit.
· Successfully building player facing marketing activity into an industry-renowned and sustained competitive advantage.
· Your tangible and measured delivery, establishing the confidence of the studio to align with your plans.
· Effective communication skills that build phenomenal relationships and confidence in your business plans.
· A pragmatic partnership across all parts of the company providing true value beyond functional lines for the best future for Jagex.
Key Duties Include:
- Inspire and leading your team to success. Supporting the development of a high performance, commercially astute, KPI driven, industry leading, highly communicative, and motivated marketing team.
- Champion collaborative embedded working with our Development and Technology teams to develop roadmaps against both our Live and new games, that drive player value and excitement against which the Marketing team can develop long range, well thought out, innovative KPI driven and timely Franchise marketing plans with these plans pushing player excitement to ever higher levels.
- Ensure the company is achieving its Live product business plans including revenues and KPIs.
- Build strong portfolio level marketing planning and strategic thinking across the nexus of Game Development, Product Management, Product Marketing, Analytics and Community, all working together as one cohesive team.
- Develop strong, positive relationships and communication with the Executive Producers of our live games (and the Development teams overall) that will help strengthen existing and future product plans and provide strategic player focused support/advice to each.
- Ensure a strong relationship with our Technology and Analytics and Data Science teams leveraging their knowledge combined with innovation in Digital Marketing activity (UA, CRM, Web, etc.) to be successful.
- Develop strong relationships across the Executive team, Senior Management group and key Stakeholders ensuring the 3-year Marketing strategy, vision, budget, principle KPIs and goals are well understood and matched to our company strategy.
- Ensure player feedback, data, sentiment and analytics inform our marketing strategy, plans and decisions in a positive way.
Key Objectives & outcomes first 6 months:
- Within the first 3 months, work with the Marketing leadership team to complete overall Marketing review sitrep and SWOT ensuring 100% alignment with the Company Strategy and setting them up for success as a high-performance team.
- Within the first 3 months you will learn the functioning of the company and develop strong professional trust-based relationships with key stakeholders in the business ensuring the marketing strategy, vision, org, financials, KPIs, etc. are well understood on a continuous basis, matched to the corporate strategy.
- Within 3-6 months you will have a strong understanding of Marketing budgets, KPIs, ROI, etc. and have developed a clear, well communicated rolling 12 month monthly and quarterly marketing forecast that aligns with our overall company P&L and financial objectives and is a marketing investment that enables us to achieve our product and broader company strategic goals.
- You will nurture and develop the existing Marketing team resulting in the development of a strategic plan. Taking the team from ‘good to great’ and highly motivating them to succeed. This plan will include: clarity of roles, clear deliverables against broader company objectives together with alignment and clarity for the Marketing management team.
- Within the first 6 months, you will review existing marketing plans and work with the team and key stakeholders to develop our marketing execution. Bringing further innovation, including thinking out of the box, not being afraid to experiment, and getting us to a leadership position in the marketing of live games.
- 10+ years’ experience building and running successful Marketing teams at a senior level including Brand Management, Digital Marketing and Creative services.
- 2+ year experience in a VP role working with and across Executive team, Senior Management and Board level including strategically Experience of building and managing Franchise P&L.
- Momentous experience in working with live/online games or consumer facing offerings that are at +£50m in revenue.
- Experience of successfully launching significant new gaming/consumer facing offerings that have subsequently grown.
- Strong experience and understanding of Digital Marketing including development of marketing technology roadmaps, and how to leverage technology innovation to ensure Marketing campaigns are efficient and successful.
- Experience of leveraging Marketing plans and KPIs to drive revenue, particularly in regard to Digital Marketing.
- Success in European and North American markets.
- Considerable experience of building and developing teams. Equipped with strong proactive communications skills, motivational growth mindset and a structured approach to leadership. Including (but not subject to) – building relationships, effective 1:1’s and quality development conversations.
- Communicates consistently across the company, to include highlighting the magnificent work of Creative Services and Marketing.
- Naturally entrepreneurial and can execute more ‘traditional’ marketing activities but can also think out of the box and cultivate innovation.
- Innovative and solution-based thinking – ability to approach an issue in multiple ways, will push evolution in how we think about marketing, and strive to make Jagex a leading studio.
- Strong desire to be #1 in the Games Industry and a confident ‘self-starter’.
- Extensive experience leading a cross-functional department (where parts of your org have been embedded within other parts of a studio previously).
- Being able to demonstrate to your people what great, and embedded relationships looks like. Holding them accountable to driving the right behaviours and values.
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Apply for this job
Date posted: 2022-01-20