PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
User Researcher (San Mateo, CA)
The PlayStation Studios User Research Team is looking for a User Researcher to conduct player research in collaboration with development studios in the interest of creating exceptional player experiences. The successful candidate will join our research team to work on PlayStation-exclusive games.
The User Researcher is an independent, intermediate-level individual contributor responsible for developing study plans, conducting high-quality research, and reporting research insights to improve our games.
- Be responsible for the planning, execution, analysis, and reporting of research studies.
- Deeply understand study requirements and goals.
- Collaborate with development team and senior researchers to define clear research questions and design studies that generate highly impactful insights.
- Structure and drive study reporting to ensure that findings are communicated in an organized and useful manner.
- Drive product improvement at the feature level.
- Manage research schedule for a product in partnership with senior researchers.
- Coach and mentor junior researchers on research execution.
- Iteratively improve research team's processes, metrics, and planning at the study level.
This opportunity would suit a self-motivated individual with a usability, user centered design, or human-computer interaction research background.
- Experienced research methodologist, capable of using a broad variety of user research methods, including but not limited to expert review, usability testing, playtesting, survey design, text & verbal analysis, observational fieldwork, telemetry, and statistical analysis.
- Strong communicator, able to communicate clearly with partners regardless of organizational level or technical ability.
- Basic understanding of the game development process and the contributions of cross-functional teams.
- Passionate interest in video games across a wide variety of genres with a curiosity for understanding player motivations and behaviors.
- Bachelor’s degree in Psychology, Cognitive Science, Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors Engineering, or related field.
- 2 years of practical experience developing study designs, testing, analyzing, reporting, and presenting findings in video games or an equivalent field.
- Postgraduate degree in Psychology, Cognitive Science, Human-Computer Interaction, Human Factors Engineering, or related field.
- 3+ years of practical experience developing study designs, testing, analyzing, reporting, and presenting findings in video games or an equivalent field.
At SIE, we consider several factors when setting each role’s base pay range, including the competitive benchmarking data for the market and geographic location.
Please note that the base pay range may vary in line with our hybrid working policy and individual base pay will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role is eligible for SIE’s top-tier benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), paid time off, wellness program and coveted employee discounts for Sony products. This role also may be eligible for a bonus package. Click here to learn more.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.
Location: United States, San Mateo, CA
Country: United States