Jagex, a UK-based video game developer and publisher, is seeking a Technical Director to join their team on an undisclosed title in development. The Technical Director will be responsible for creating and maintaining a sustainable live game project that supports product, creative, and art requirements. They will work closely with interdisciplinary game teams to solve complex game technology problems and provide leadership and guidance to their art team. The ideal candidate should have extensive end-to-end game development experience, proficiency in Unreal Engine and C++, and experience in large-scale co-development or outsourcing relations for content creation. Jagex offers flexible working, a bonus scheme, private health care, gym membership, and other benefits.
THE JOB AND THE TEAM!
We have an exciting opportunity for a Technical Director to join a growing team on one of our new and undisclosed titles in development!
As Technical Director you will be accountable for the definition, creation and ongoing maintenance of a sustainable live game project that supports the according product, creative and art requirements. In this position, you help the development team to solve complex game technology problems and represent game developers on technology issues in the development and post-release of an ever-expanding live game.
You will work closely with interdisciplinary game teams to assist them in designing and implementing solutions to problems. In addition, you will assist in developing the right expertise in the right places to make great games and will be a crucial part of the company's long-term strategic approach to games technology.
You will champion the engineering quality within the project while balancing delivery and customer satisfaction. Therefore, you will work closely with product, production, design and art to develop and steer the technical foundation while providing direct leadership and guidance to your art team. The team looks to you as an inspirational leader who provides motivation, mentoring and coaching and advocates team creativity and best practices throughout all engineering fields, including health and well-being.
You will always be responsible for ensuring clear communication to the Jagex Senior Leadership Team and outwards to the rest of the business.
At the Director level, you contribute to studio-wide topics, decisions and directives that will move the studio's engineering forward and continue establishing Jagex as a studio of exceptional talent. In addition, represent your team and Jagex at a product, leadership and craft level to the broader studio, community and industry.
WORKING WITHIN OUR ENGINEERING TEAM, YOU WILL:
· Create and drive a technical direction that enhances and supports the creative direction, game design, product and marketing strategy for a feasible and sustainable live game project.
· Ensure the engineering team focuses on the right areas for the project.
· Build, lead, mentor and manage a team of talented engineers.
· Maintain and improve the technical quality level of the product, including stability, performance, maintainability and scalability of features and services.
· Advocate for the technology department in meetings and planning sessions.
· Directly line manage Leads, Seniors or other parts of the engineering team as applicable.
· Collaborate with development teams and central teams to specify features and development tools.
· Work with production to effectively plan engineering team delivery and highlight strategic risks.
· Grow and mentor your team, earn their trust, and advance their skills and careers.
· Create team growth plans and collaborate with HR and talent acquisition to deliver.
· Be of support in recruiting top-tier engineering talent.
· Build and execute a transparent roadmap, create and deploy best-in-class processes, proactively identify and resolve issues, and innovate in software development.
· Able to work with engineers in any domain, even if not an expert, and provide helpful guidance and feedback.
Manage the development of the technology team's abilities and capacity.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR IN YOU:
· Extensive end-to-end game development experience from concept and production to release on PC or Console to AAA standard.
· Profound experience with Unreal Engine and C++ in the game development environment.
· Significant experience in large-scale co-development or outsourcing relations for content creation and continuous development collaboration.
· Competence in creating an ever-expanding online or live game with a variety of subsequent content additions over time within consistency and maintainability.
· Competent with strategies for growing, developing and managing a multidisciplinary tech team.
· Comfortable documenting and presenting current industry best practices and continuously striving for state-of-the-art methodologies.
· Experience in continuous development revision to improve and enhance pipelines and processes within cross-functional teams.
· Strong leadership skills with a servant-leader approach that unleashes the potential in others.
· Ability to bring a competitive edge to the studio.
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Monthly Energy Allowance
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Apply for this job
Country: United States
Date found: 2023-04-11