PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Do you have experience in game development and a particular interest in art pipeline tools? Insomniac Games is looking for a Technical Artist to join its Core Technology department and focus on the development of its AAA game engine and tools suite with one of our technical art teams. A background in technical animation can be useful for this role. Candidates may be considered at higher seniority levels.
This job is primarily individual contribution, with support, peer mentoring, and planning responsibilities as appropriate. You'll be developing ownership over an area of Insomniac's art pipeline tools, creating forward-looking and cutting-edge features to support the needs of the production teams building games such as Marvel's Spider-Man and Ratchet & Clank. Others in this role have recently been involved in projects like advanced retargeting and IK/FK, a shared repository of motion capture data to reuse across games, Houdini-based tools for procedural destruction, and more.
The Core Technology department at Insomniac includes programmers and technical artists who are scheduled separately from game teams, offering an amount of independence and self-management to individuals on the team. They maintain close communication with the game production teams, ensuring that the engine team has a direct relationship with the people using their tools and tech to make our games.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following:
- Design and develop improved content-creation pipelines, processes, and workflows
- Provide documentation and mentor the game teams to fully take advantage of our tools and technology
- Create sample content to prove out new workflows and demonstrate visual improvements
- Provide support to content creators for tools and pipelines owned by the department
- Respond to bug reports, feature requests, and questions related to our tools
- Maintain current knowledge of technological developments in the game industry
- Other duties may be assigned
- Strong verbal and written communication
- Strong knowledge of Maya as it pertains to engine content creation:
- Animation, modeling, fx, and rigging features
- Extensibility via Python, PyMEL, PyQt/PySide, and the Maya API
- Knowledge of the content-creation landscape and modern content-creation tools, like Houdini
- Knowledge of the game engine landscape and modern engine feature sets
- Experience with technical animation, programming, or a related field
- Experience with C++ is a bonus
If you’re unsure whether you meet the qualifications for this role, please err on the side of applying!
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed