SkyBox Labs is a game development studio that is looking for a Technical Art Director with 8+ years of experience in the games industry to join an exciting new IP project. The successful candidate will be responsible for researching and implementing new technologies and cutting-edge techniques within Unreal Engine 5 to ensure the highest level of visual quality and technical excellence in the game. They will work collaboratively with the team to create high-quality game art and visuals, develop tools, pipelines, and workflows, explore possible solutions for content-related issues, and create proof-of-concept work towards visual targets in pre-production. The candidate should have expertise in Unreal Engine 4 (with experience in UE5 being an asset), strong knowledge of 3D art pipelines, tools, and workflows, and a deep understanding of game engines, game development pipelines, and asset optimization techniques for real-time rendering. SkyBox Labs offers a comprehensive health benefits package, a competitive salary, and a supportive Parental Leave policy, among other benefits.
Who is SkyBox Labs?
SkyBox Labs is a game development studio that works on some of the world’s most iconic games. The studio is currently co-developing Halo Infinite, working on projects in the Minecraft universe, supporting the dev team at Bungie on Destiny 2: Lightfall, supporting development of Fallout 76, and working on original IP. As one of Canada’s fastest-growing game studios, since our inception in 2011, SkyBox Labs has evolved from a group of 8 people to a team of over 250+ Engineers, Artists, Animators, Designers, Producers, and more! Join us in our Burnaby or Victoria studios, or have the opportunity to work remotely within Canada for certain designated projects.
Interested? Let’s talk about what we’re hiring for, and who would be a good fit.
SkyBox Labs is looking for an experienced and highly skilled Technical Art Director to join an exciting new IP project. Joining in the early stages of development, you will be responsible for researching and implementing new technologies and cutting-edge techniques within Unreal Engine 5 to ensure the highest level of visual quality and technical excellence in our game. You understand what goes into making great games and you thrive in a highly collaborative and iterative environment.
A snapshot of your role:
- Work collaboratively with the team to create high quality game art and visuals in Unreal Engine 5
- Work closely with the art, design and engineering teams to develop tools, pipelines and workflows
- Explore possible solutions for content-related issues and create proof-of-concept work towards visual targets in pre-production
- Collaborate with the team to create and implement innovative solutions to technical challenges, such as performance optimization, asset management and cross-platform development
- Partner with the directors to plan, implement and communicate optimal asset performance and memory budgets, metrics and standards used by the content creation teams
- Research new technologies and techniques related to Unreal Engine 5 and ensure the team is up-to-date with the latest industry trends and advancements
- Develop and maintain documentation on technical art processes and best practices to support the team’s work and knowledge transfer
- Lead a team of technical artists through the various stages of the development cycle
- Provide technical guidance and mentorship to the team to support their professional development and growth
- Assist in the hiring process for the technical art team
Who are you, and what experience will you bring?
- 8+ years of experience in the games industry with a focus on technical art
- Experience leading teams on at least 1-2 shipped PC/console game titles
- Expertise in Unreal Engine 4 (with experience in UE5 being an asset) and its related tools and technologies such as Blueprints, Niagara and Material Editor
- Strong knowledge of 3D art pipelines, tools and workflows, including character and environment modeling, rigging, animation, texturing, visual effects, lighting and rendering
- Deep understanding of game engines, game development pipelines and asset optimization techniques for real-time rendering
- Excellent problem-solving and analytical skills, with an eagerness and ability to investigate, identify and solve complex technical challenges
- Strong communication and leadership skills, with the ability to collaborate effectively with cross-functional teams and stakeholders
- Strong proficiency in visual scripting languages with foundational knowledge in object-oriented-programming
- Proficiency in programming languages such as Python, C++ and/or C#
- Experience with Unreal Engine 5
And here is why we think you'll love working at SkyBox Labs:
- Annual bonus and up to 3% RRSP matching available
- Comprehensive health benefits and a competitive salary, along with a supportive Parental Leave policy
- Flexible hybrid working arrangements: leverage our beautiful studio spaces as needed, and use our $400 work-from-home allowance to make your home office comfortable
- Take care of your mental health with our Employee Assistance Program, 3 weeks of vacation leave, and our free gym at our Solo Studio
- We relentlessly support your growth and development! Level up your C++ skills at SkyBox University, and expand your game dev knowledge with Lunch & Learns. You’ll join a culture of empowerment, collaboration, and personal growth
- Social events! Have fun with the team at trivia nights, karaoke nights, movie nights, and group activities. Join our soccer team, game jams, or a board game sesh after work. You name it, we’ve got it!
- Generous relocation allowance to support your move to either Vancouver or Victoria
- You’ll contribute to industry-leading titles, from legendary AAA franchises to Original IP
Our commitment to you:
SkyBox Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity employer, committed to developing and maintaining a diverse workforce. You’ll join a collaborative, inclusive culture. One where we succeed together – across the desk and around Canada. Where like-minded people work naturally together to achieve great things (and games!).
Only candidates who reside in Canada or are willing to relocate will be considered for this role. Additionally, although we appreciate all interest, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Learn more about us at https://skyboxlabs.com/
Apply for this job
Location: Burnaby, British Columbia
Date found: 2023-04-11