Who is SkyBox Labs?
SkyBox Labs is a game development studio that works on some of the world’s most iconic games. Our projects include working as a co-developer on Halo Infinite, projects in the Minecraft Universe, supporting the development of Magic: The Gathering Arena, supporting development of Fallout 76, and developing unannounced titles including partner projects and internal IP. As one of Vancouver’s fastest-growing game studios, since our inception in 2011, SkyBox Labs has evolved from a group of 8 people developing independent projects to a team of over 200+ engineers, artists, designers, producers, and more.
SkyBox Labs is currently seeking an experienced Systems Designer for a new co-development project! This coveted AAA action RPG is a fan favourite around the world.
In this role as a Systems Designer, you will work closely with other Designers, World Artists, and other disciplines to design and implement game content and systems. Some examples may include designing rewards and consequences and modes with in world systems. The ideal candidate is someone who is creative and has strong technical scripting capabilities.
- Use your creative, scripting, and technical skills to add new features to existing systems and tools
- Spec, build, and maintain cooperative and competitive re-playable activities, content and rewards
- Design, implement, and balance content that drives regular player engagement
- Tweak gameplay values to create rewarding moments and a satisfying progression curve
- Partner with both internal and external partner teams within an agile framework
- Skillfully revise the design vision for your content based on insights from studio leadership, project leads, playtesting, and the player community
- 5+ years experience in a game systems design role - specifically, designing systems that generate reward and progression
- Ability to take amazing hand-crafted experiences and turn them into systems that players want to return to again and again
- Effective documentation skills and a desire to formalize and future-proof design processes
- Advanced skills in scripting with Lua, C#, Python, or similar scripting languages
- Experience using game engines such as Unreal, Unity, Frostbite, or similar
- Solid understanding of first-person shooters
- Clear and empathetic communicator
- Experience across multiple development projects or platforms
- Deep understanding of competitive experiences
- Passionate about action MMO games
And here is why we think you'll love working at SkyBox Labs
Our studio’s success can be attributed to our culture of empowerment, collaboration and personal growth.
At SkyBox Labs, you can contribute to industry-leading titles, from legendary AAA franchises to independent IP, without compromising on culture. As a rapidly growing independent company, we maintain a ‘small studio’ feel with our flat structure, leading with authenticity, and fostering connection.
We relentlessly support your growth and development. From team building through personal interest groups and clubs to studio-wide knowledge sharing through learning lunches, and more formalized programs like SkyBox U, we support our team every step of the way.
One major thing that we’re proud of is that we’ve been able to grow to the studio that we are today while ultimately cultivating an environment of trust and mutual respect where you can thrive. We value our team members’ diverse backgrounds, hobbies, skills, and interests and we celebrate them! This is demonstrated through our broad spectrum of social clubs: Join our soccer team, fitness group, or one of our many D&D groups - you can even start your own!
Work During COVID-19
In order to keep our employees, candidates and community safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, the majority of our teams are working from home within Canada, with plans to a return in a hybrid capacity later in 2022. All interviewing, onboarding, and most work will take place remotely for the foreseeable future.
SkyBox Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Learn more about us at http://skyboxlabs.com/
Although we appreciate all interest, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply for this job
Location: Burnaby, British Columbia
Date found: 2022-11-06
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed