Would you like to work on some of the greatest franchises in gaming history? What about working on our new original IP? Certain Affinity is the largest independent developer in Texas, based out of Austin, and a growing presence in Toronto, Canada. Our culture reflects the values and the vibrant nature of the cities we call home. This includes a commitment to evolution, diversity, excellence, and work-life balance. We're best known for co-developing numerous AAA FPS games, though now we are creating compelling new games. We're always on the lookout for amazing talent to join our team.
We seek a Systems Designer with experience designing and implementing gameplay systems for single and multiplayer games. Your skills encompass both the creative and technical elements of design, allowing you to create a wide variety of gameplay.
- Work closely with the Lead Systems Designer to design, prototype, and foster core gameplay systems, including player mechanics, combat, enemies, game mechanics, game modes, weapons, inventory systems, etc.
- Willing and able to drive a design from conception through implementation and to completion
- Able to stay flexible to the project needs by iterating on gameplay elements including but not limited to combat mechanics, player abilities, level mechanics, player progression, pick-ups and collectibles
- Create design documentation that clearly and concisely communicates the requirements and the vision of the system for clients, internal developers, marketing, and external developers
- Analyze data and player feedback to optimize and improve the existing game experience continually
- 4+ years of game design experience, including 2+ with systems design experience and at least one full development cycle as a systems designer
- Strong experience in scripting / visual scripting of systems in a networked game (Lua, Unreal Blueprint, Java, Python, Perl, etc.) You must be willing to get your hands dirty implementing and balancing your designs!
- Proven ability to create innovative gameplay systems and to enhance existing ones.
- Great collaborator with an uncanny knack for seeing the issues underlying any criticism or complaint
- Passion for playing games and understanding the systems that drive them, especially AAA shooters (1st and 3rd person)
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills, including the documentation of technical designs
- Excellent ability to multi-task and to adapt easily to change
- Highly self-motivated and able to self-manage
- Experience designing weapons, player abilities, and shooter mechanics.
- Experience with other facets of design (level design, encounter scripting, UX/UI, etc.)
- Experience developing on multiple console, PC, and/or mobile platforms
- Data analytics experience
- Strong programming background
- Bachelor’s (BA) degree from an accredited four-year college or university or equivalent experience
Certain Affinity or its partners or affiliates run background checks on candidates or employees with written authorization from the candidates or employees. These may be done to offer employment or determine eligibility to work on a specific project. Multiple searches may be required.
Certain Affinity is authorized to do business in many, but not all, of the states in the US and the Canadian provinces. If you are not located in or able to work from a state where Certain Affinity is registered, you may not be eligible for employment as a fully remote employee. Please speak with your recruiter to learn more about where we are registered.
Location: Hybrid Remote<span>,</span> Toronto, Canada