Sumo Sheffield is seeking a Studio Art Director to join their team and help develop and grow the Art Team. The successful candidate will report to the Studio Head of Art and work alongside the Studio Art Manager to continue their drive for improvement and quality. The role involves supporting the Project Art Directors to ensure that Art quality is maintained and improved, directing and providing positive constructive feedback for project Art Directors to develop their abilities and output, and partnering with creative leadership and other team leads to identify and solve all issues related to artistic needs. The ideal candidate will have shipped AAA consoles titles as a Studio Art Director or equivalent, have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in games or analogous industry, and have strong leadership and interpersonal skills. The position is offered on a fully remote, hybrid or in-studio basis. Sumo Sheffield offers a range of benefits, including flexible working, defined annual bonus scheme, and employee referral bonus. Sumo Digital is an award-winning international family of studios, and Sumo Sheffield is located just outside the city centre in Sumo Digital’s HQ, just off J34 on the M1.
With a rich history of developing multiple AAA franchises such as Little Big Planet and Crackdown, as well as contributing to genre-defining titles like the Forza Motorsport and Hitman series, Sumo Sheffield’s vast development experience spans multiple genres and platforms.
As winners of the TIGA Star Employment Award for 2021, recipients of the GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work Award and listed as one of the UK’s 100 Best Large Companies to Work for in 2021 and 2022, Sumo Digital has enjoyed 20 years of stability and growth since its formation in 2003 and continues to strive for excellence across every single project.
The team have a track record of working on some of the world's biggest and best games and received two BAFTAs for their work on Sackboy: A Big Adventure. As the scale and exclusivity of projects continues to grow, there’s never been a more exciting time to join the Sumo Sheffield family!
The role @ Sumo Sheffield
We are actively recruiting an exceptional Studio Art Director for Sumo's Sheffield studio to help develop and grow the Art Team. You will report to the Studio Head of Art and work alongside the Studio Art Manager to continue our drive for improvement and quality.
You will undoubtedly be a confident, enthusiastic leader unafraid to be an advocate for the art team with the ability to have a holistic approach on how art impacts the gaming development lifecycle. With a passion for excellence, you will drive consistent working practices, set high standards, mentor and support project Art Directors and push for creative collaboration across both the Art department and other disciplines.
This is a perfect opportunity for the right person to have a high-level view of the Studio’s ambitions and play a pivotal role in its future development.
This position is offered on a fully remote, hybrid or in-studio basis. Any remote working must be located from within the UK.
Within this role you will:
- Support the Project Art Directors to ensure that Art quality is maintained and improved
- Review, direct and provide positive constructive feedback for project Art Directors to develop their abilities and output.
- Partner with creative leadership and other team leads to identify and solve all issues related to artistic needs including defining stylistic vision, establishing, and maintaining aesthetic standards, influencing the technical direction of the project to best support the artistic, game design and narrative goals.
- Facilitate and lead regular art reviews for internal and external teams.
- Working with the project Art Directors and being responsible for their refinement and delivery of Art Bibles, Style Guides and all visual foundational material. Ensuring consistency and delivery of the studio output and process. Being the owner of sign off.
- Be an advocate and spokesperson for the Studio.
- Regularly update senior management on status and progress on resolutions for project issues.
- Actively participate in multi-discipline stakeholder meetings and champion the art requirements/needs
- Collaborate with Producers and Art Managers to identify and resolve art workflow and staffing issues.
To be successful you will have:
- Shipped AAA consoles titles as a Studio Art Director or equivalent
- Have the ability to define a high calibre vision for AAA titles, with outstanding visual and technical understanding in rendering and asset creation.
- Be comfortable with and be versatile enough to develop within a wide range of visual styles and game genres
- Have a minimum of 5 years’ experience in games or analogous industry.
- Strong leadership and interpersonal skills
- Proven experience directing and supporting artists across multiple art disciplines.
- Worked collaboratively and productively in cross discipline teams.
- Be self-motivated and self-sufficient.
- Excellent visual, verbal, and written communication skills to support delivery of a clear artistic vision both internally and externally.
- Mastery in identifying existing visual styles and the ability to implement them.
- A commitment to raising the bar for the teams and the studio.
- A strong understanding of current game technology and future ambitions.
- A portfolio of project and personal work demonstrating quality, technique, and creative/artistic direction.
- Understand the importance of delivery and its impact on all disciplines.
- A breadth of knowledge across many strands of visual culture.
It would be great if you also have experience with:
- Developing games from existing IPs or franchises
What we offer:
. Defined Annual Bonus Scheme
. ULEV car scheme
. Monthly allowance to spend on enhancing benefits
. Salary Sacrifice Pension
. Flexible Working
. 21 days free-use holiday
+ your birthday off
+ 5 learning days including 1 volunteer day
+ a duvet day
+ Christmas shutdown from Christmas Eve to New Year
+ Bank Holidays
+ extra allowance accrued for longer service
. Free dental insurance
. Life Assurance 4x Salary
. Income Protection of 75% for 5 years
. Enhanced Mat/Paternity & Adoption pay
. Employee Assistance Programme:
. Help at Hand - Remote GP, Mental Health & Physio appointments
. Free financial & home buying support consultations
. Cycle to Work Scheme
. Payroll Giving Scheme
. Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses
. Career Development Pathway
. Wrap Parties.
. Project Completion Awards
. Game/Creative Jams
. Big Family Events
. Studio social activities, e.g. running, board games, film, yoga, life drawing…
. Prism – Sumo’s employee diversity focus group
. Free fruit and drinks in our studios
. Employee Referral Bonus
Where do we stand on diversity?
At Sumo, we want to enable everyone to bring their full, authentic selves to work every single day. We acknowledge that the games industry is far from perfect and a global organisation with people all over the world, from all kinds of backgrounds, we know it’s part of our duty to provide everyone at Sumo with a safe, accepting and affirming working environment.
We encourage and welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
More about Sumo Sheffield
Sumo Sheffield is located just outside the city centre in Sumo Digital’s HQ, just off J34 on the M1 and a stone’s throw from the city’s primary shopping and leisure complex. With a multi-building campus comprised of industry-leading facilities, an onsite gym and subsidised canteen, Sumo Sheffield provides everything needed for all teams to create the world’s best games.
Sheffield is the fifth largest city in the UK and is easily accessible by road and rail from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. The city enjoys a wealth of facilities to suit a wide array of interests, including:
o World-class sports facilities
o Iconic theatres and galleries
o Multiple retail and shopping experiences
o Diverse and renowned restaurants and eateries
o The award-winning National Video Game Museum
More about Sumo Digital
Sumo Digital is an award-winning international family of studios. Recent releases from Sumo Digital studios include: BAFTA-Award winning Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Hood: Outlaws & Legends, Control Ultimate Edition on Google Stadia, Apple Arcade Award-winning Little Orpheus, Hot Shot Racing, WST Snooker and Spyder.
Apply for this job
Country: United Kingdom
Date found: 2023-03-17