PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
We are looking for a Staff Data Engineer to join the Data Strategy and Operations Data Engineering team within the Sony PlayStation environment.
A successful applicant responsible for the design, development, and maintenance of the data processing platform. They will be required to fit into a highly skilled team and work with minimal supervision, under their own initiative. Within the team they will be required to mentor and develop the skills of the less experienced developers.
The successful candidate will be eager to learn new tools and techniques; while the main ETL tool is Ab Initio, knowledge of different technologies is a definite advantage.
Based in our London offices, the team provides BI and Analytics for many global business units associated with Sony PlayStation.
What you’ll be doing:
- Design and coding of complex data processing modules
• Ensure code is fully scalable, maintainable, and performant
• Completion of technical assessments and impact analysis to determine level of effort of the work requested
• Take ownership of multiple technical work streams, be the subject matter expert and managing risks and issues
• Performance tuning of code and review of fellow developer’s code to confirm adherence to best practices
• Mentoring of more junior members of the team as well as guild and advise senior team members
• Work holistically with other Staff Engineers to ensure high standards are maintained and design decisions are ratified and communicated across engineering
• Work with Product Owners/Managers to ensure the timely delivery of project deliverables that meet requirements
• Requires ability to work in a global and multi-cultural environment. Team members are in multiple geographies, resulting in time constraints due to time zones differences and a requirement for occasional travel
- At least 10 years’ experience of advanced development in Ab Initio, covering multiple components of the product suite (GDE/Metadata>Hub/Control>Centre/DQE)
• Skilled in UNIX, including shell scripting, admin and utilities
• Highly skilled in SQL and a variety of database technologies
• Experienced in programming languages, for instance C and Python
• Experience working on projects that are rich in data complexity and volume
• Considerable experience in a similar role, with proven expertise gained in challenging, business critical projects
• Must have eligibility to work in the UK and travel to US and Japan
• English: Fluent
What we are looking for:
Skills Required (essential):
- Demonstrable experience in developing large-scale data processing platforms
- Extensive experience throughout the software development lifecycle
- Knowledge of data warehouse appliances, specifically Snowflake
- Interpersonal skills including presentation, negotiating, conflict resolution, etc.
- Strong communication skillsets. It is vital that the successful candidate can explain complex technical issues in non-technical terms to business stakeholders
- Strong Knowledge of AWS cloud technologies, especially storage, infrastructure and EKS
- Ability to multi-task and prioritise within parallel development cycles and tight timelines
- Knowledge and experiences of Agile development
- Strong troubleshooting and problem solving ability
- Skilled in business requirements analysis with ability to translate business information into technical specifications
- Eager to learn
Skills Required (desirable):
- Understanding of other data processing technologies, i.e. Databricks
- Familiarity with data modelling concepts
- Discretionary bonus opportunity
- Private Medical Insurance
- Dental Scheme
- London Allowance (if applicable)
- 25 days holiday per year
- On Site Gym
- Subsidised Café
- Free soft drinks
- On site bar
- Access to cycle garage and showers
Please refer to our Candidate Privacy Notice for more information about how we process your personal information, and your data protection rights.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.
Location: United Kingdom, London
Country: United Kingdom