PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Sr. Software Engineer (Server)
San Diego, CA
As a Senior Software Development Engineer in the team, you will design highly scalable systems, develop distributed services, collaborate with product managers, architects, engineers, operations team members across PlayStation and build proven payment platform solutions. We are a fast-paced environment, using lightweight SOA design patterns. We encourage innovation and expect developers to take a high level of ownership throughout the software life cycle.
- Possess a drive and passion for quality with the ability to inspire, excite and empower other team members.
- Have outstanding verbal and written communication skills, and are able to work with others at all levels.
- Effective at working with geographically remote and culturally diverse teams.
- Driven by curiosity to go beyond your immediate assignments and look for ways to make things better. You’re not afraid to ask questions.
About the role and how you will spend your time:
- Work in an Agile Scrum environment with a team of highly engaged engineers.
- Provide component and system level designs for large-scale commerce systems under Sony’s PlayStation Network Platform.
- Implement interactive web-based services and commerce capabilities using sound technology choices.
- Maintain ongoing operational ownership of components deployed to the production environment.
- Become a domain expert and provide strong technical leadership.
- BS or Master’s Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 7+ years of experience in developing business critical software using Enterprise Java/J2EE, Web Services, REST APIs and JSON/XML.
- Excellent knowledge of microservices architecture and object oriented programming analysis, design.
- 2+ years’ experience developing with AWS native services such as EC2, S3, Kinesis, Glue, Lambda, SQS, SNS and DynamoDB.
- Experience building scalable systems with very high levels of concurrency and transactions.
- Experience with SpringBoot, testing frameworks (Spoch, JUnit, Cucumber), servlet containers (Tomcat), container technologies (docker), container orchestration (Kubernetes) and related technologies.
- Experience with SQL and NoSQL databases.
- Experience developing applications on Unix/Linux platforms.
- Proficient in the SDLC, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Possess deep knowledge of computer science fundamentals such as object oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
- Experience leading engineering teams and mentoring others.
- Experience developing cross-platform code.
- Experience with AWS, including AMI creation from infrastructure as code, cloud formation, or other AWS services (such as S3, DynamoDB, elastic cache, etc.).
- Experience with caching solutions such as Cassandra and Memcached.
- Experience with eCommerce, especially in payment processing and/or fraud on a global scale.
- Experience with Java Application Servers/Containers.
- Experience with an e-commerce company or Payments software is a plus.
At SIE, we consider several factors when setting each role’s base pay range, including the competitive benchmarking data for the market and geographic location.
Please note that the base pay range may vary in line with our hybrid working policy and individual base pay will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role is eligible for SIE’s top-tier benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), paid time off, wellness program and coveted employee discounts for Sony products. This role also may be eligible for a bonus package. Click here to learn more.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.
Location: United States, San Diego, CA
Country: United States