Timbre Games, a new studio in Vancouver, Canada, is looking for an AI Gameplay Engineer to join their team. The ideal candidate should have at least one year of professional experience in games or other creative industries and a thorough understanding of Unreal’s AI systems. The Engineer will be responsible for collaborating with the game team to take ideas from prototype to production, creating smart and unpredictable AI, developing core AI gameplay features, components, systems, and tools, and writing beautiful and well-documented C++ code that conforms to coding standards. Timbre Games offers a competitive salary, comprehensive health benefits, flexible paid time off, and a values-driven culture with direct access to leadership and industry veterans. The company is committed to diversity and inclusion and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, marital status, military or veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by law.
Welcome to Timbre!
We are Timbre Games (part of the Sumo Digital Group), a new studio in Vancouver, Canada focused on making exciting, innovative game experiences. Timbre’s vision is to change the games industry through the original games we make, as well as how we make them. We’re building an inclusive, supportive culture that allows us to explore fresh, new (and sometimes weird) ideas. We’re searching for more visionary explorers to join our team of diverse voices, coming together to develop games that are accessible to a wide audience.
If you’re thinking about your next adventure, send us your resume to talk to our team about how you can add your voice to the games we’re working on.
Engineering at Timbre Games
An Engineer at Timbre games will focus on creative, innovative and technically sound work. Our engineering team is fully integrated with all areas of game development and collaborates both technically and creatively. Our studio focuses on Unreal Engine 5, pushing everything we do towards technical excellence. We are lifelong learners, leaning on both internal expertise and external inspiration to continue our path of growth and development. We have a keen eye for best practices and elegant code, and ensure knowledge sharing, and mentoring are a priority.
We value interdisciplinary collaboration and creative contributions. We're open to applications from individuals with at least one year of professional experience in games or other creative industries.
AI Gameplay Engineers craft complex and diverse behaviors for our characters to delight and challenge our players.
As an AI Gameplay Engineer at Timbre, you will:
- Collaborate with the game team to take ideas from prototype to production.
- Create smart and unpredictable AI that is exciting and fun to play with
- Develop core AI gameplay features, components, systems and tools
- Write beautiful and well documented C++ code that conforms to coding standards
- Communicate across multiple disciplines to mine the best behaviour ideas from the team
What you bring:
- A thorough understanding ofUnreal’s AI systems, working with Behaviour Trees, Blackboards and Custom Tasksto develop a range of behaviors.
- Experience developing AI behaviors on a shipped AAA title, or demonstrable experience with AI in Unreal Engine.
- An interest in the broader field of behavioral AI is a plus.
What you'll gain:
Timbre aims to foster a workplace environment that empowers our team to do their best creative work. Below are a list of some of the benefits we offer to ensure you reach your full potential. As we continue to grow, we are co-creating more values-driven benefits to support our team.
• Competitive salary & comprehensive health benefits, including extended health, dental, vision, life and AD&D insurance, short / long-term disability, 24/7 counselling through an employee assistance program and a health spending account available to you from your first day
• Annual bonus & up to 5% RRSP matching available to you from your first day
• Flexible paid time off (unlimited), plus holiday closure between Christmas and New Years, as well as National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
• Work with us in Vancouver or remotely across Canada, utilizing our $500 work from home allowance
• 1 year gaming subscription and weekly gaming days
• My Pathway - a Career Development Program to provide a clear path for you to grow at Timbre
• 8 learning days per year and unlimited access to Udemy online courses
• A values driven culture with direct access to leadership and industry veterans with a wealth of knowledge to share
Timbre’s Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Timbre Games is located in beautiful Vancouver, BC, Canada and on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and Sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations. Although our roots are in Vancouver, we work with a remote, distributed team across Canada. If you are interested in an opportunity at Timbre Games but are not presently residing in Canada, please note that we may be able to offer assistance in immigrating / relocating under the right conditions.
Timbre Games is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, marital status, military or veteran’s status (including protected veterans, as may be required by federal law), sexual orientation or any other category protected by law. We celebrate all backgrounds and attributes that make us unique and amazing - in this world and the ones we create!
At Timbre, we try to be mindful and not set unrealistic requirement expectations in order to apply. If you don’t tick all of the boxes of the role that you’re excited about, we encourage you to send your resume to our General Application inbox on our careers page, or, follow Timbre on LinkedIn to stay in touch with our newest openings.
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
If what we’ve shared above resonates with you, connect with us today!
Apply for this job
Location: Timbre Games, Vancouver
Date found: 2023-03-17