With a rich history of developing multiple AAA franchises such as Little Big Planet and Crackdown, as well as contributing to genre-defining titles like the Forza Motorsport and Hitman series, Sumo Sheffield’s vast development experience spans multiple genres and platforms.
As winners of the TIGA Star Employment Award for 2021, recipients of the GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work Award and listed as one of the UK’s 100 Best Large Companies to Work for in 2021, Sumo Digital has enjoyed 18 years of stability and growth since its formation in 2003 and continues to strive for excellence across every single project.
The team have a track record of working on some of the world's biggest and best games and received two BAFTAs for their work on Sackboy: A Big Adventure. As the scale and exclusivity of projects continues to grow, there’s never been a more exciting time to join the Sumo Sheffield family!
The role @ Sumo:
We are looking for an Online Services Programmer to join us on an exciting new multiplayer arcade/sports title. This is a fantastic opportunity play a significant role in the cutting-edge development of new multiplayer experiences.
You will be responsible for the design and implementation of services and server powered gameplay features using proprietary domain specific server technologies.
You will be expected to clearly explain the challenges and opportunities online services provide to help tech and design teams build robust, secure, and engaging experiences.
You will be helped by other team members and will report to the Lead Programmer on the Development Team.
Within this role you will:
- Work closely with Code Leadership to plan, estimate, and write high-quality robust services.
- Use a wide variety of proprietary server technologies to develop solutions with.
- Build service clients in a proprietary C++ game engine and integrate clients into relevant game features.
- Write technical proposals clearly explaining your ideas and considering potential challenges and alternative approaches.
- Work with designers and gameplay programmers to design and build new server powered gameplay features.
- Document your work including new processes and newly created APIs.
- Contribute to regular code reviews, championing code quality and best practices.
- Solve technical problems that affect many parts of a game.
We need you to have:
- Solid understanding of how online services are architected, built, and deployed including the frontend, backend, and DevOps.
- Experience with developing and consuming online REST APIs.
- Experience with one or more database systems including their scalability and data integrity concerns.
- Experience working with C++ game engine and gameplay code.
- Be receptive to critical feedback, evolving designs and iteration.
- Willingness to learn new programming languages and technologies.
- Desire to solve problems, including in other people’s code.
- Great knowledge of C++.
It would also be great if you have:
- Knowledge of Go.
- Excellent problem solving skills.
- Ability to quickly learn and navigate with large unfamiliar codebases.
- Extensive game development experience.
- Extensive server development experience.
- Familiarity with Cloud Hosting (AWS, Azure, Google Cloud, etc.).
- Fantastic communication skills.
What we offer:
. Defined Annual Bonus Scheme
. ULEV car scheme
. Monthly allowance to spend on enhancing benefits
. Salary Sacrifice Pension
. Flexible Working
. 21 days free-use holiday
+ your birthday off
+ 5 learning days including 1 volunteer day
+ a duvet day
+ Christmas shutdown from Christmas Eve to New Year
+ Bank Holidays
+ extra allowance accrued for longer service
. Free dental insurance
. Life Assurance 4x Salary
. Income Protection of 75% for 5 years
. Enhanced Mat/Paternity & Adoption pay
. Employee Assistance Programme:
. Help at Hand - Remote GP, Mental Health & Physio appointments
. Free financial & home buying support consultations
. Cycle to Work Scheme
. Payroll Giving Scheme
. Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses
. Career Development Pathway
. Wrap Parties.
. Project Completion Awards
. Game/Creative Jams
. Big Family Events
. Studio social activities, e.g. running, board games, film, yoga, life drawing…
. Prism – Sumo’s employee diversity focus group
. Free fruit and drinks in our studios
. Employee Referral Bonus
Where do we stand on diversity?
At Sumo, we want to enable everyone to bring their full, authentic selves to work every single day. We acknowledge that the games industry is far from perfect and a global organisation with people all over the world, from all kinds of backgrounds, we know it’s part of our duty to provide everyone at Sumo with a safe, accepting and affirming working environment.
We encourage and welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
More about Sumo Sheffield
Sumo Sheffield is located just outside the city centre in Sumo Digital’s HQ, just off J34 on the M1 and a stone’s throw from the city’s primary shopping and leisure complex. With a multi-building campus comprised of industry-leading facilities, an onsite gym and subsidised canteen, Sumo Sheffield provides everything needed for all teams to create the world’s best games.
Sheffield is the fifth largest city in the UK and is easily accessible by road and rail from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. The city enjoys a wealth of facilities to suit a wide array of interests, including:
o World-class sports facilities
o Iconic theatres and galleries
o Multiple retail and shopping experiences
o Diverse and renowned restaurants and eateries
o The award-winning National Video Game Museum
More about Sumo Digital
Sumo Digital is an award-winning international family of studios. Recent releases from Sumo Digital studios include: BAFTA-Award winning Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Hood: Outlaws & Legends, Control Ultimate Edition on Google Stadia, Apple Arcade Award-winning Little Orpheus, Hot Shot Racing, WST Snooker and Spyder.
Apply for this job
Date found: 2022-11-06
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed