Frontier, an independent developer and publisher of video games, is seeking a Senior User Interface Developer to join their team in Cambridge, England. The successful candidate will be responsible for developing quality UI code across various projects and platforms, reviewing existing and new code additions to the game, contributing to the development of the codebase, and working closely with designers and artists. The ideal candidate should have experience with at least one high-level language, debugging tools, and performance optimization. They should also have excellent attention to detail and be a quick learner who is willing to adapt to new tools and frameworks. Frontier offers a competitive salary and benefits package, including a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidized catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Zoo and F1 Manager. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 800 talented people supporting our existing portfolio and ambitious future roadmap, along with our publishing label Frontier Foundry, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
About the Role
As Senior User Interface Developer, you will be joining a team with over 50 years combined coding experience of working in UI. You will have a big impact on the success of our games, many of which rely heavily on UI to deliver their gameplay systems.
At Frontier, we understand the technical challenges of delivering high quality UI within the strict performance restraints of our industry.
This is an exciting opportunity to join development on a multi-million-selling multi-platform family of games, and to be involved at an early stage with interesting new content.
Your passion for developing UI and problem solving will be pivotal to delivering the quality that we strive for in all our games.
- Develop quality UI code across various projects and platforms.
- Review existing and new code additions to the game.
- Contribute to the development of our codebase.
- Work closely with the Designers and Artists, seeking feedback and iterating on your work.
- Develop prototypes to help inform the design process.
- Familiar with at least one high-level language, E.g. C#, LUA, JS, Haxe, AS3 or Java.
- Experience using a language's debugging tools, and know how to use them to diagnose bugs.
- Are aware of the performance constraints real-time applications have, and have experience profiling and optimizing their code.
- Comfortable weaving assets provided by Designers and Artists into your UI's.
- Able to communicate effectively within your team, and foster links with other disciplines.
- A quick learner who is willing to adapt to new tools and frameworks.
- Excellent attention to detail.
- Multiple shipped game titles or experience on a long running games franchise.
- Knowledge and/or experience of motion design.
- Familiarity with console development.
- React/Preact experience.
- Familiarity with TypeScript.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Apply for this job
Location: Cambridge Hybrid / Remote /
Country: United States
Date found: 2023-03-17