Creative Assembly is looking for a Technical Designer to join our Total War development team. This role will be based at our headquarters in Horsham, in the heart of West Sussex.
This role will focus on reacting to player feedback, providing value to players, and doing so quickly and efficiently. As a result, you will be focusing on the technology, tools, and pipelines that enable team members to achieve this.
Flexible working at Creative Assembly includes hybrid, fully remote within country of employment for eligible roles, and in-studio. We recognise that there is no one-size-fits-all approach and empower our teams to define the working patterns which work best for them, which may mean different things for different teams and roles and at different times.
This role can be offered as hybrid with an expectation of 2 days per week or full in-studio working, depending on candidate requirements. This role cannot offer fully remote working. Further details can be discussed during the recruitment process.
As Technical Designer on the project, your skills and knowledge will be important for considering long term goals of the technology, features, content, production & design pipelines, and general design, as well as short term issues like feature changes and re-purposing. Contributing to high quality feature development that provides long term value to Total War.
On a day-to-day basis, you will:-
- Rapidly react to feedback from players, and build & maintain pipelines to make this possible
- Use your design and technical knowledge to identify the best methods of providing value to players
- Maintain consistent communication ties with the Technical Design team to co-ordinate and share technology, tools, and coach the use of new features
- Bridge communication between disciplines, projects, and games teams
- Create and maintain robust script architectures
- Inform and advise on technical limitations and their impacts on development, and provide alternatives and fallbacks
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
- Experience with persistent titles, operating as live pro ducts
- Familiar with programming and programming principles
- Experience with one or multiple programming or scripting languages
- Strong knowledge of game design fundamentals
- Excellent problem-solving skills
- Affinity for communication, both written and verbal
- Comfortable working closely with other disciplines, especially programmers
- Comfortable working in, and rapidly becoming familiar with, unfamiliar systems
- Experience with source control.
- Previous Technical Design role in game development environment
- Experience with C# or C++
- A strong desire to seek out and learn new skills and knowledge
About Creative Assembly
It’s an exciting time to be a part of our craft-led studio as we push boundaries, creating deep and detailed experiences that last.
Our teams are diverse from across the world, from trainees to industry veterans who constantly challenge us and make sure we are striving for the best within our games and our studio life. We are united through our shared values of Quality, Focus, Teamwork, Respect and Trust and we win awards for our culture and our people-centric approach, having won a Best Place to Work Award for six consecutive years. We invest in our people, the studio, and our projects. We are a company that’s secure and safe – you don’t need to worry about job security at CA.
We’ll give you the creative freedom, tools, support, and development to achieve your potential.
Our studios are based in Horsham, UK and Sofia, Bulgaria, including several bespoke state-of-the-art audio suites and a dedicated motion capture facility.
We offer many benefits to support you and your family including:
- Flexible working: hybrid, fully remote within country of employment for eligible roles, and in-studio working
- Work from Anywhere for a temporary period each year (restrictions apply such as VISAs)
- Enhanced holiday allowance, maternity and paternity breaks, flexibility with our core hours, and no-notice holidays
- Bespoke relocation package for you and your dependents, with support throughout the process from our dedicated Relocation Specialists
- Private medical and dental insurance, life insurance, permanent health insurance, critical illness cover and free health care screening
- Generous holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, and all UK Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Join our award-winning education and social responsibility programme; the Legacy Project, as an industry ambassador to mentor and educate others
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support including SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops, on-site training with renowned specialists and global conference attendance
- Opportunity to join our Diversity and Inclusion Network – an employee-led group
- Season ticket travel loans and cycle to work scheme with free bike servicing and discounted car valet service on site
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast in the studio every day - toast, bagels, pancakes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, smoothies, juices, milkshakes and more in our fully stocked kitchen
- Wellbeing support with an employee assistance programme and onsite confidential sessions
- In-studio heavily subsidised massage therapy
- Discounts for home technology, travel insurance, corporate gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, trips out and Ikea vouchers, and many local businesses including estate agents
- Studio parties for you and your family; such as our Summer Festival, Christmas Party plus a separate Children’s Christmas Party. We also have Cinema days and wrap parties for game releases
- Studio community activities such as life drawing, creative writing, Pilates, Walking Challenges, Couch to 5k, basketball, game and movie evenings, board game club, 5-a-side football, CA Choir, Sword fighting (yes, sword fighting) and loads more.
Location: Horsham, West Sussex
Country: United Kingdom