Senior Systems Designer
Why Join Us?
To put it simply: you’ll work with great people, making top-tier, high-quality interactive experiences with the best IP in the world. We set out to build an uncompromising vision for a game studio and found the ideal partner in Skydance to extend its reach and sustainability. To fully deliver our vision for these games we assembled the best external development, publishing and IP partners in the world. Our internal team will remain small relative to other AAA developers so we can all maintain the highest levels of familiarity, trust and effectiveness. You’ll be surrounded by industry veterans, currently with an average of 20 years’ experience, in a climate of mutual trust, maturity, candor and playful collaboration. We believe that life’s too short to work with difficult people, regardless of talent, so exceptional character and strong principles are requirements for every role. Your days will be focused on solving creative and technical problems, not navigating corporate politics.
We are open to a spectrum of remote working and office scenarios for staff. This will include regular team get-togethers and travel throughout the year, so we benefit from the best of both worlds – flexibility and efficiency as well as team cohesion.
What You’ll Do:
We’re looking for a Senior Systems Designer to join our core team developing a high quality, AAA single-player story-driven action-adventure game built using the Unreal Engine.
As part of the design team, you’ll be responsible for designing and executing on many aspects of the game including, but not limited to, player features and mechanics as well as helping to determine the conventions, processes and practices used to create the project. You will work closely with the Creative Director, fellow designers, and multi-discipline feature teams to help plan, prototype and build great gameplay systems that push the boundaries of interactive entertainment. #NewMedia
In This Role, You Will:
- Design, prototype and maintain integral gameplay features, with care for the overall creative and narrative vision of the game
- Proactively collaborate with Engineering, Cinematography, and Art to manifest unique gameplay systems
- Champion these systems through development, by setting goals, creating estimates, and identifying dependencies
- Provide constructive feedback on all aspects of game design; find opportunities to improve the quality of the product
- Drive designs through iteration using feedback, playtests, and game metrics to identify areas of greatest impact and improvement
- Work with external partners to ensure that quality requirements and timelines are being met
We Are Looking for People Who:
- Take risks in order to push interactive entertainment forward in new and innovative ways
- Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Have a strong understanding of high level design and the understanding of how their contributions will affect the game as a whole
- Thrive in a self-driven environment
- Appreciate and respect cross-discipline collaboration
- Have experience with Unreal Engine
- Have three to five years of experience in games
- Have shipped at least one AAA game
What is Skydance New Media?
Amy Hennig (co-creator of the Uncharted series) and Julian Beak, both 30-year veterans in the game industry, have built a new studio with Skydance Media (the studio behind Mission: Impossible, Top Gun: Maverick, The Old Guard, Grace and Frankie) that is laser-focused on premium action-adventure games with rich, compelling stories. Our first productions will tap into the traditions of adventure cinema to create an engaging, energetic experience that captures the spirit of TV and film to excite both gamers and non-gamers alike. These games will be best-in-class for both visual fidelity and innovative gameplay on the latest console platforms and PCs.
Visit Our Website: Skydance New Media
Skydance is a diversified media company founded by David Ellison in 2010 to create high quality, event-level entertainment for global audiences. The Company brings to life stories of immersive worlds across its feature film, television, interactive, and animation divisions.
Skydance is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to building and fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce. We welcome and consider applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy status, military/veteran status, disability, or any other protected category. Diversity in the workplace is not just a commitment, it is who we are and a reflection of what makes our world special.
Recruitment Fraud Alert
It has come to our attention that there may be fraudulent activity by individuals impersonating our Talent Acquisition team. Skydance will only contact you from an official “@skydance.com” email address. If you suspect that you are being contacted by an unauthorized person or believe that the correspondence you have received is suspicious, please do not click on any links or attachments in such emails and submit any questions or concerns to our information security team at email@example.com.
Apply for this job
Date posted: 2022-01-20