PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
How would you like to influence the most successful gaming platform of all time, by leading teams building tools to test and analyze the technology PlayStation uses to deliver an exciting user experience for our gamers?
Sony Interactive Entertainment (PlayStation) has an exciting career opportunity! We are looking for a creative, diligent Senior Software Engineering Manager who will be responsible for driving the engineering teams researching and developing the next generation of PlayStation's testing technology. This technology - including automation tools, framework and CI infrastructure - is used to analyze the quality of front end workflows on the PS5.
This responsibility includes people management of our engineers and coordinating engineering efforts across the different team projects. The position entails collaboration with quality management leadership, different internal departments, as well as open source software communities. Together we will build an environment oriented to trust, open communication, creative thinking and cohesive team effort. You will also work closely with your peers and leadership to establish project prioritization, team goals, and overall quality.
Join us and coordinate with our internal software quality engineering teams in analyzing the core technology behind PlayStation console user experiences of tomorrow. If this sounds exciting, please apply!
- Lead a diverse team of our Managers and Software Engineers. Handle hiring, mentoring, work planning, career growth, and performance management.
- Facilitate communication and feedback between engineers and quality engineering teams, capturing requirements for the tools and infrastructure that will tackle future test automation challenges.
- Lead all aspects of delivery for general tech architecture and infrastructure to support the continued development of the project, including tools and pipelines
- Research and craft new tools for overcoming inefficient processes by automating work.
- Coordinate construction of plans, processes, samples, and documentation with our global software development, documentation, and remote offshore engineering teams.
- Lead retrospective analysis of activities and champion continuous process improvement.
- Monitor and review everyone’s performance, deliver regular performance appraisals
- Lead day-to-day activities of engineering team using Agile/Scrum methodology
- Identify recruitment needs and participate in recruitment to further develop the team. Foster their professional development.
- Participate in technical communication within the team and to other groups associated with specified projects to define system requirements and/or necessary modifications
- Define team member development and career path opportunities with team members and mentor them to achieve goals
- Create and follow-up on staffing plans and budgets for your teams
- Ensure effective succession planning for the team
- At least 5+ years in an engineering manager role. (Past experience supervising people managers is helpful.)
- At least eight years of professional programming experience.
- Experienced in building and running complex highly scalable software systems.
- Significant experience with software engineering practices, software automation and testing systems (for example, Jenkins).
- Experience managing, coaching, and mentoring engineers or technical developers through at least one full production cycle
- Proficient in Python programming, confidence to provide guidance to junior engineers in code review.
- Robust understanding of computer and software architecture
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science or equivalent.
Skills and Characteristics
- Possessing outstanding verbal and written communication skills, which encompass presenting to product managers, software engineers, project managers, and customers.
- Ability to present technical information in a clear and concise manner to executives and non-technical leaders
- Experience recruiting software engineering talent.
- Strong interpersonal skills, with the ability to communicate problems in advance and tackle them rather than responding to them afterwards.
- Creative and ambitious leader who embraces change and has a desire to continually improve.
Nice to Have
The following technical qualifications are a plus (but not required):
- Past experience with cloud computing and containerization (Docker).
- Exposure to C++ programming.
- Machine learning background.
- Game development background.
- Experience with distributed systems / micro service architecture.
- Well established reputation in the OSS community with a proven track record for contributions towards multiple projects.
At SIE, we consider several factors when setting each role’s base pay range, including the competitive benchmarking data for the market and geographic location.
Please note that the base pay range may vary in line with our hybrid working policy and individual base pay will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role is eligible for SIE’s top-tier benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), paid time off, wellness program and coveted employee discounts for Sony products. This role also may be eligible for a bonus package. Click here to learn more.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.
Location: United States, San Francisco, CA
Country: United States