In this position you will be a member of the Eyepiece Process R&D team and will be heavily involved in R&D, engineering, and precision prototyping. The successful candidate will be responsible for producing high precision prototype parts by programming, setting up, and operating tools and equipment; maintaining quality and safety standards; keeping process records; maintaining equipment and supplies; evaluating and implementing new and existing processes in R&D & manufacturing environments. Candidates must be highly innovative, and enjoy working in a dynamic and creative environment within a multidisciplinary team.
- Ownership and development of eyepiece R&D processes, tools and materials focused on the development of AR eyepieces.
- Utilize processes and tools to design, manufacture, and test prototype components and assemblies.
- Verify process and tooling through high precision measurement, often working and creating the measurement process, fixture, and program alongside the primary process.
- Designs experiments, executes, and writes reports to help make design and process decisions.
- Fabricates small quantities of prototype assemblies, and guides technicians in fabricating medium quantities.
- Benchmark other industry processes. Develop, implement and refine prototype manufacturing processes on preliminary manufacturing and process equipment.
- Maintains equipment by completing preventive maintenance requirements, following manufacturer’s instructions, troubleshooting malfunctions, and initiating repairs.
- Create and maintain specifications and documentation for processes developed and utilized.
- Drives hand-off of well-defined processes to high volume manufacturing teams.
- Works onsite at R&D facility and inside cleanroom environment a majority of time.
Required Skills & Experience
- Process engineering, especially in a research and development (R&D) environment; creating new processes.
- Creation, execution and analysis of experiments and/or design of experiments (DoEs) for process improvement, material selection or similar using statistical evaluation methods and/or software.
- Experience in using and/or programming manual, semi-automated or automated tools and equipment.
- Experience in mechanical design 2D-CAD software (i.e., AutoCAD, etc).
- Ability to create finished prototype units from original CAD drawings and specifications.
- Ability to document and communicate data to the R&D and process teams.
- Engineer with 3 years industry experience OR Ph.D. with 1 year industry experience.
Preferred Skills and Experience
- CNC machine operation, programming and ownership experience.
- Semiconductor, micro/nano-fabrication or similar metrology tool ability (especially CMM, optical microscopy, Low Coherence Interferometry (LCI)).
- Data management & reporting.
- JMP and/or JMP scripts (or similar), especially applied to evaluating, comparing and analyzing data to drive next-step decisions for experiments, process or materials improvements, DOEs, etc.
- Experience in mechanical design 3D-CAD software (i.e. Creo, Solidworks, etc).
- Laser cutting (a.k.a. singulation) of glass and glass-like material.
- Transition and hand-off between R&D prototypes to high-volume manufacturing.
- Providing input for manufacturing equipment design.
- Engineer with 5+ years industry experience OR Ph.D. with 3 years industry experience.
Additional Skills and Experience
- Physical Vapor Deposition (Sputtering and Evaporation).
- Lamination of thin layers (glass or glass like materials, flexible films, etc.).
- Manufacturing process for VR/AR/MR devices or similar (ie, mobile phones, displays, circuit boards, etc.).
Education & Experience
- B.S. or M.S. in engineering (mechanical, optical, industrial, manufacturing, materials, etc.) or related science field OR Ph.D. in engineering or related science field.
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed