Jagex, a UK-based video game developer and publisher, is seeking a Senior Level Designer to join their level design team for an unannounced open-world, survival craft title. The successful candidate will be responsible for designing and building a compelling open world for players to explore, working alongside a cross-disciplinary team. The role involves taking ownership of level designs from inception through to final release quality, creating paper designs, level block-outs, and gameplay scripting, iterating layouts, and collaborating with multi-disciplinary teams to craft an engaging world for players. The candidate should have 5+ years of experience in a Level Design position, experience in a Senior Level Design position, professional experience designing open world spaces, and spaces for 3rd person action-adventure games. They should also have experience working with Unreal Engine and gameplay scripting using Blueprints, creating level designs using terrain sculpting tools, and excellent written and verbal communication skills. Jagex offers a range of benefits, including flexible working, bonus scheme, private health care, gym membership, and more. The company encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
THE JOB AND THE TEAM!
Jagex are looking for a talented Senior Level Designer to join our level design team, on an exciting, unannounced open-world, survival craft title. Reporting to the Lead Designer, you will work alongside a cross disciplined team to design and build a compelling open world for players to explore.
Working within our talented art team, you will:
· Take ownership of level designs from inception through to final release quality, while adhering to the high-level vision set out by the leads and directors.
· Own each stage of the level design process. Create paper designs, level block-outs and gameplay scripting.
· Iterate layouts and balance gameplay ensuring the game hits the expected quality benchmarks at each stage during production.
· Collaborate within multi-disciplinary teams to craft an engaging world for players to experience.
· Help mentor less experienced designers on the team.
· Help leadership to drive quality and standards across the team.
· Participate in playtests and contribute constructive feedback on the game.
· Work with Tech Art and Engineers to improve level design workflow and tools
What we need:
· 5+ years experience working in a Level Design position, on multiple AA/AAA published titles.
· Experience in a Senior Level Design position, ideally on at least one published title.
· Professional experience designing open world spaces.
· Professional experience designing spaces for 3rd person action-adventure games.
· Experience working with Unreal Engine and gameplay scripting using Blueprints.
· Experience creating level designs using terrain sculpting tools.
· Highly reliable with the capability to produce consistent, high-quality work with minimal direction and feedback.
· Self-organised with the ability to effectively manage time and work to deadlines.
· Excellent attention to detail with the ability to evaluate and self-critique work.
· Excellent written and verbal communication skills, with the ability to write clear and concise documentation.
· Ability to think artistically with a good eye for layout and composition.
· A great understanding of narrative world building and how to apply it to environmental storytelling.
· Excellent knowledge of current level design theory and principles for open world games.
· Positive attitude, strong work ethic, and the ability to work in a highly collaborative team environment.
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Monthly Energy Allowance
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Apply for this job
Country: United States
Date found: 2023-04-29