Free Range Games
Free Range Games grows games the old fashioned way: we don’t put our team in cages, we work distributedly, and we don’t use toxic work/life trade-offs. Some of our crafters have worked together from PS1 to PS5 and will tell you about carving games one triangle at a time from punch cards.
We are some of the folk behind Spider-man, Tony Hawk, Lord of the Rings, Twitch Sings, Oddworld, Shrek Super Slam, and dozens of mobile and web games. We believe every member of the team has a voice in what the game should be.
We prioritize community, family, and love-of-gaming over process, crunching, and TPS reports. And maybe that’s what you want too.
Free Range Games is looking for a Senior Engineer to join a new next gen console game. We are looking for someone that understands the challenges of console game characters and next gen animation. Animation clips are the atoms of your thinking. Everything can be fixed with a quarter second blend. You plan to manage complexity over thousands of states before you create your first. You don’t mind arguing over whether C&C or CCC is more approps for your work. You love state machines.
- Develop and engineer the systems to bring the characters to life including: behaviors, senses, skeletal physics, combat, group behavior, audio and fx.
- Work with the animation and design teams to evolve prototype features from primitives to functional characters.
- Own some heroes, enemies, bosses, mini-games, items with weird mechanics, or area-specific features.
- Design to 80%. You should have enough game play sensibility that the first pass is cool.
- Comp Sci or Math degree.
- 5+ years with a C variant.
- Vector Math and Linear Algebra as first language.
- Understand rigid body physics
- Understanding of animation logic systems, navigation, and "AI" techniques
- Experience on mid- to large teams.
- Links to the titles you worked on with a description of what you did.
- Experience with Motion Matching and/or machine learning.
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Free Range Games is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Free Range Games makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Free Range Games participates in E-Verify.
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed