The job is for a Senior Game Designer at Jagex, a UK-based video game developer and publisher. The role involves designing larger content updates and features for the game RuneScape, as well as reviewing smaller updates and contributing to the quality of gameplay, mechanics, rules, and interfaces. The designer will work with production to ensure updates remain within time and budget, guide projects from concept through production and feedback, and provide usable design documentation to support projects and coordination between projects. The role requires professional experience designing and shipping a complete game or game updates for a live game at the senior level, excellent communication skills, in-depth knowledge of the MMORPG and live game genres, and the ability to design within the unique constraints of RuneScape. The company offers flexible working, a bonus scheme, private health care, gym membership, and other benefits.
Designs larger Runescape content updates and features, and reviews smaller ones. Contributes to the quality of gameplay, structure, mechanics, rules and interfaces. Works with production to ensure quality updates remain within time and budget. Where necessary, guides projects from concept through production and feedback. Provides usable design documentation to support projects and coordination between projects. Works with content developers to design ambitious but practically achievable results which improve the quality and value of the game. Works with the Lead Game Designer to form and champion Runescape's design strategy.
Key Duties Include:
- Lead the design of major content updates as part of a team.
- Work with content developers to provide design expertise and feedback on smaller updates.
- Work with other designers to provide inter-update visibility and consistency.
- Work with the Lead Game Designer to form and champion Runescape's design strategy.
- Bring an area of specialisation to the design team, such as combat, system design, UX or economics.
- Professional experience designing and shipping a complete game or game updates for a live game at the senior level. (Live game experience preferred.)
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills. This is a highly social role and you need to be able to work well with your team.
- In-depth knowledge of the MMORPG and live game genres, including recent innovations.
- Ability to design within the unique constraints of Runescape. This role requires either existing Runescape experience, or the demonstrated ability to work quickly to build an understanding of Runescape's unique history, mechanics and community.
- Specialisation in an area of game design, such as combat, system design, UX, economics.
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Monthly Energy Allowance
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Apply for this job
Country: United States
Date found: 2023-03-17