Frontier, an independent developer and publisher of video games, is seeking an engine programmer to work with their Elite Dangerous programming team. The successful candidate will be responsible for maintaining and developing core features for the Elite Dangerous engine, writing technical documentation, mentoring team members, collaborating with gameplay teams, diagnosing and fixing bugs, and advising on longer-term solutions. The ideal candidate should have an advanced understanding of C++ and software engineering principles, experience developing engine systems and public-facing APIs, and good analytical and problem-solving skills. Frontier offers a competitive salary and benefits package, a creative and collaborative work environment, and a focus on employee well-being.
Frontier is an established, market leading independent developer and publisher of videogames for PC and consoles. We have achieved serial successes across a wide variety of titles including Elite Dangerous, Planet Coaster, Jurassic World Evolution, Planet Zoo and F1 Manager. Founded in 1994, we are based in the world-leading technology cluster and historic city of Cambridge, England. With a growing team of over 800 talented people supporting our existing portfolio and ambitious future roadmap, along with our publishing label Frontier Foundry, we are passionate about creating innovative genre-leading games and authentic worlds for our communities of players.
We have an exciting opportunity for an engine programmer to work with our highly talented and experienced Elite Dangerous programming team. You will help to maintain as well as develop core features for our Elite Dangerous engine.
The Elite Dangerous engine tech plays a huge part in our continuing success and enables our Gameplay teams to realise their creative visions. Your passion for core engine technology will be pivotal to delivering the quality that we strive for in all our games.
- Writing new features, maintaining and optimising systems for the Elite Dangerous engine.
- Writing technical documentation to ensure engine features are fully understood by those using them.
- Helping to mentor people joining the team.
- Collaborating with Gameplay teams on feature requests to present an API suitable for their requirements as well as implementing code that is clean, robust and well tested.
- Diagnosing bug reports and implementing fixes.
- Working alongside Gameplay teams leading up to important deadlines and releases to address any issues they may need support with.
- Advising on and/or implementing solutions to interesting and difficult longer term problems for our talented Gameplay teams.
- An eye for how a good API should be presented.
- Passionate about writing under the hood code that will be used by many different developers.
- Good understanding of how to write maintainable systems.
- Ability to communicate effectively with team members.
- Good analytical and problem solving skills.
- Ability to give and receive constructive feedback in order to strive for continuous improvement.
- Good at managing competing demands for your time.
- Enjoys mentoring and helping programmers to improve.
Qualifications, Skills & Experience:
- Advanced understanding of C++ and software engineering principles.
- Advanced understanding of data structures and algorithms.
- Experience developing engine systems and robust public facing API’s.
- · Familiarity with multithreading and writing asynchronous systems.
- · Track record of engine systems programming in released AAA games.
- · Experience of developing networked multiplayer games.
- · Good natural technical writing ability.
- · Knowledge and experience of physics engines.
What we can offer you
We offer the chance to work with talented and passionate people, developing and publishing sophisticated and enduring games in a creative and collaborative environment. We love what we do, and we work hard to provide outstanding experiences for our player communities. Frontier rewards this passion and determination by sharing in the company’s success and by supporting our teams to keep doing what they love.
Well-being is a big focus at Frontier and we are continually evolving how we can support our staff. We encourage a healthy work/life balance and host a range of well-being activities, initiatives and sessions to support both mental and physical health.
We offer a competitive salary and benefits package, which includes a success-based annual bonus, share option schemes, pension, life assurance, private family healthcare, flexitime working hours, enhanced maternity/paternity package, in-house subsidised catering, support with relocation, a Cycle to Work scheme and free bike servicing, and social events.
We welcome and encourage applications from qualified candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender identity, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Apply for this job
Location: Cambridge Hybrid / Remote /
Country: United States
Date found: 2023-03-17