Sumo Sheffield, an award-winning international family of studios, is seeking a 3Cs Gameplay Programmer with a minimum of 3 years' experience in C/C++. The successful candidate will work alongside Code Leadership to plan, estimate, and implement high-quality, performant 3Cs code, have ownership of traversal, ability, and/or weapon systems for player and AI characters from prototype to release, and work closely with the Code and Production teams to achieve the highest quality product possible. The company offers a range of benefits, including flexible working, defined annual bonus scheme, ULEV car scheme, and more. Sumo Sheffield is located just outside the city centre in Sumo Digital’s HQ, and Sheffield is easily accessible by road and rail from Leeds, Manchester, and the Midlands. Sumo Digital encourages and welcomes applicants from all backgrounds.
With a rich history of developing multiple AAA franchises such as Little Big Planet and Crackdown, as well as contributing to genre-defining titles like the Forza Motorsport and Hitman series, Sumo Sheffield’s vast development experience spans multiple genres and platforms.
As winners of the TIGA Star Employment Award for 2021, recipients of the GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work Award and listed as one of the UK’s 100 Best Large Companies to Work for in 2021, Sumo Digital has enjoyed 18 years of stability and growth since its formation in 2003 and continues to strive for excellence across every single project.
The team have a track record of working on some of the world's biggest and best games and received two BAFTAs for their work on Sackboy: A Big Adventure. As the scale and exclusivity of projects continues to grow, there’s never been a more exciting time to join the Sumo Sheffield family!
The 3C's are made of:
Within this role you will:
- Alongside Code Leadership, plan, estimate, and implement high-quality, performant 3Cs code,
- Have ownership of traversal, ability, and/or weapon systems for player and AI characters from prototype to release,
- Review gameplay feature specifications and provide specific insights in collaboration with Game and Level Design,
- Work with player-centric systems such as cameras and input handling,
- Work closely with the Code and Production teams to achieve the highest quality product possible.
We need you to have:
- Experience with character and/or camera systems,
- Practical experience with 3D math and its applications to gameplay,
- Proficiency in C/C++, minimum of 3 years' experience,
- Excellent cross-discipline communication skills,
- Excellent debugging and optimisation skills,
- Experience working on at least one large scale game project.
You will need to:
- Think critically, and apply analytical skills in resolving complex issues,
- Be self-motivated with high personal standards as demonstrated in quality and pride of work,
- Create and own complex systems from start to finish,
- Author technical designs and best practices,
- Quickly master tools and development processes,
- Take direction and criticism,
- Plan work and meet deadlines designated for team projects,
- Demonstrate professionalism with the ability to function well within a team,
- Mentor less experienced programmers.
What we offer:
. Defined Annual Bonus Scheme
. ULEV car scheme
. Monthly allowance to spend on enhancing benefits
. Salary Sacrifice Pension
. Flexible Working
. 21 days free-use holiday
+ your birthday off
+ 5 learning days including 1 volunteer day
+ a duvet day
+ Christmas shutdown from Christmas Eve to New Year
+ Bank Holidays
+ extra allowance accrued for longer service
. Free dental insurance
. Life Assurance 4x Salary
. Income Protection of 75% for 5 years
. Enhanced Mat/Paternity & Adoption pay
. Employee Assistance Programme:
. Help at Hand - Remote GP, Mental Health & Physio appointments
. Free financial & home buying support consultations
. Cycle to Work Scheme
. Payroll Giving Scheme
. Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses
. Career Development Pathway
. Wrap Parties.
. Project Completion Awards
. Game/Creative Jams
. Big Family Events
. Studio social activities, e.g. running, board games, film, yoga, life drawing…
. Prism – Sumo’s employee diversity focus group
. Free fruit and drinks in our studios
. Employee Referral Bonus
Where do we stand on diversity?
At Sumo, we want to enable everyone to bring their full, authentic selves to work every single day. We acknowledge that the games industry is far from perfect and a global organisation with people all over the world, from all kinds of backgrounds, we know it’s part of our duty to provide everyone at Sumo with a safe, accepting and affirming working environment.
We encourage and welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
More about Sumo Sheffield
Sumo Sheffield is located just outside the city centre in Sumo Digital’s HQ, just off J34 on the M1 and a stone’s throw from the city’s primary shopping and leisure complex. With a multi-building campus comprised of industry-leading facilities, an onsite gym and subsidised canteen, Sumo Sheffield provides everything needed for all teams to create the world’s best games.
Sheffield is the fifth largest city in the UK and is easily accessible by road and rail from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. The city enjoys a wealth of facilities to suit a wide array of interests, including:
o World-class sports facilities
o Iconic theatres and galleries
o Multiple retail and shopping experiences
o Diverse and renowned restaurants and eateries
o The award-winning National Video Game Museum
More about Sumo Digital
Sumo Digital is an award-winning international family of studios. Recent releases from Sumo Digital studios include: BAFTA-Award winning Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Hood: Outlaws & Legends, Control Ultimate Edition on Google Stadia, Apple Arcade Award-winning Little Orpheus, Hot Shot Racing, WST Snooker and Spyder.
Apply for this job
Country: United Kingdom
Date found: 2023-03-17