Skydance offers a dynamic, inclusive, and ever-evolving culture where innovative ideas are welcomed, and growth fostered. The partnership between unique creativity and technological advancements are demonstrated within each pillar of the company. At the heart of it all is a commitment to boldly entertaining and relevant storytelling.
While all Animation studios look to hire people who are creative and hard-working, Skydance Animation is specifically looking for pioneers who seek to push the limits of what the world’s most collaborative art form can achieve, and to give those pioneers the space and the resources to build a new studio that’s doing something different.
If you’ve ever dreamt of what the early days of Hollywood must have been like, of what it takes to roll up your sleeves and break new ground, figure out a new process, and to one day say, “I was there when it all began,” then welcome aboard…
The Production Designer will create, articulate, and maintain a singular vision for the film based on the Director’s vision. This role will oversee the execution of that vision throughout the production. They are responsible for visually solving varied creative challenges to ultimately produce a beautiful film within budget.
Using artistic, communication, and management skills, the Production Designer continually relays and reinforces the vision of the film to the entire crew and, while working closely with the director and other creative leadership, supervises the design of the film’s characters, environments, lighting and color.
- Oversees Art Department
- Creates inspirational and supplemental artwork that expresses the vision of the film and provide it to departments to illustrate the artistic goals of the film
- Responsible for creating and executing visual flow through the film, keeping in mind the story and emotional intent of the sequences
- Translates, clarifies, and communicates the Director’s vision into the look of the film to the crew, as well as oversees the execution for this look throughout the film making process
- Provides final art reference for all departments
- Prepares and presents the look of the film to prospective artistic talent, Marketing, Consumer Products, and outside vendors as needed
- Oversees the assignments and casting for the Art Department and other departments as needed
- Partners closely with all Department Heads and Creative Leadership
- Partners with the Visual FX Supervisor in creating the visual complexity of the film and finds solutions for complex issues that are outside of the film’s budget
- Attends all department rounds and approvals – divides responsibilities for approvals with the Director and VFX Supervisor as appropriate
- Stays updated on Story and Editorial changes that affect the film
- Works with Production Management to stay aware of the show schedule, milestones, and screenings, and have accompanying work ready as needed
- Elevates issues that arise – creative, technical and budgetary – to Production Management
- Responsible for color timing the film
- Works with Marketing and Consumer Products to provide artwork or advise on colors, design or any other artistic needs
- May act as approver for Marketing materials at Director’s request
- Participates in Recruiting events and hiring of talent in all areas of artistic production
- Minimum 5 years’ experience supervising Art Departments on animated feature films
- Great communication skills
- Expert knowledge of color theory and design principles
- Proven organizational and time management skills
- Strong team leadership and collaboration experience
- Expert knowledge of Photoshop and other relevant software
- Ability to create and design in innovative styles and employing innovative methods
- Excellent draftsmanship, particularly as pertains to perspective (in both architectural and natural environments) and anatomy (both human and animal)
- Knowledge of CG animated feature pipelines
- Must be available to work on-site in Los Angeles, CA
Skydance is a diversified media company founded by David Ellison in 2010 to create high quality, event-level entertainment for global audiences. The Company brings to life stories of immersive worlds across its feature film, television, interactive, and animation divisions.
Skydance is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to building and fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce. We welcome and consider applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy status, military/veteran status, disability, or any other protected category. Diversity in the workplace is not just a commitment, it is who we are and a reflection of what makes our world special.
Recruitment Fraud Alert
It has come to our attention that there may be fraudulent activity by individuals impersonating our Talent Acquisition team. Skydance will only contact you from an official “@skydance.com” email address. If you suspect that you are being contacted by an unauthorized person or believe that the correspondence you have received is suspicious, please do not click on any links or attachments in such emails and submit any questions or concerns to our information security team at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Apply for this job
Location: Mid-City, Los Angeles
Date posted: 2022-01-20