This is an excellent opportunity for a passionate, and experienced Principal Technical Artist, to join the team behind Total War, Alien: Isolation and Halo Wars 2, to create thrilling game experiences on a new project being built in Unreal Engine 5 (UE5). This will be based at our studio in Horsham, in the heart of West Sussex.
The ideal candidate will be pushing the quality and efficiency of art in our games. Joining a new team, you will work with other disciplines to design and implement new features, tools and processes, and help us hit the balance between cutting edge and efficiency.
Flexible working at Creative Assembly includes hybrid, fully remote within country of employment for eligible roles, and in-studio. We recognise that there is no one-size-fits-all approach and empower our teams to define the working patterns which work best for them, which may mean different things for different teams and roles and at different times.
This role is Hybrid and has an expectation of one day every fortnight in our Horsham studio. This role would consider fully remote working within country of employment, in exceptional circumstances. Further details can be discussed during the recruitment process.
As Principal Technical Artist, you must be able to manage time effectively, be a versatile problem solver and have the expertise to inspire and mentor others to excellence.
On a day-to-day basis, you will:
- Provide technical support to artists while pushing pipeline and technology development for the franchise
- Research and implement the art workflows and processes, and monitor the performance and adapt as needed
- Create, maintain, and review workflows, tools, and pipelines, and form innovative and creative solutions to improve quality and efficiency of art content, and improve the working lives of the artists
- Liaise with programming teams and bridge cross-discipline communications.
Knowledge, Skill and Experience
- Excellent problem solver - able to look for efficiencies, resolve problems and offer solutions to improve them
- Able to confidently and clearly communicate both verbally and written within the project team and wider game development team (where relevant)
- Relevant programming or scripting experience in languages such as Python/C++/C#
- Experience using game engine/s
- Understanding of 3D math (linear algebra, vector and matrix maths)
- Knowledge of art content creation pipelines
- Expert in standard industry tools such as Maya, Houdini, MotionBuilder
- Ability to work and communicate well as part of a team
- Ability to mentor and coach the Technical Artists.
- Houdini/procedural generation experience
- Substance Designer / Painter experience
- Experience in Unreal 4/5
- Experience developing content creation tools for use with game engines and DCC’s.
About Creative Assembly
It’s an exciting time to be a part of our craft-led studio as we push boundaries, creating deep and detailed experiences that last.
Our teams are diverse from across the world, from trainees to industry veterans who constantly challenge us and make sure we are striving for the best within our games and our studio life. We are united through our shared values of Quality, Focus, Teamwork, Respect and Trust and we win awards for our culture and our people-centric approach, having won a Best Place to Work Award for six consecutive years. We invest in our people, the studio, and our projects. We are a company that’s secure and safe – you don’t need to worry about job security at CA.
We’ll give you the creative freedom, tools, support, and development to achieve your potential.
Our studios are based in Horsham, UK and Sofia, Bulgaria, including several bespoke state-of-the-art audio suites and a dedicated motion capture facility.
We offer many benefits to support you and your family including:
- Flexible working: hybrid, fully remote within country of employment for eligible roles, and in-studio working
- Work from Anywhere for a temporary period each year (restrictions apply such as VISAs)
- Enhanced holiday allowance, maternity and paternity breaks, flexibility with our core hours, and no-notice holidays
- Bespoke relocation package for you and your dependents, with support throughout the process from our dedicated Relocation Specialists
- Private medical and dental insurance, life insurance, permanent health insurance, critical illness cover and free health care screening
- Generous holiday allowance plus full studio closure over the Christmas and New Year period, and all UK Bank holidays
- Annual discretionary studio bonus
- Join our award-winning education and social responsibility programme; the Legacy Project, as an industry ambassador to mentor and educate others
- Defined career development pathways and personalised training support including SEGA Dev Day, internal masterclasses, prestigious creative workshops, on-site training with renowned specialists and global conference attendance
- Opportunity to join our Diversity and Inclusion Network – an employee-led group
- Season ticket travel loans and cycle to work scheme with free bike servicing and discounted car valet service on site
- Free games and merchandise plus access to our extensive games library
- Free breakfast in the studio every day - toast, bagels, pancakes, cereals, yoghurts, fresh fruit, smoothies, juices, milkshakes and more in our fully stocked kitchen
- Wellbeing support with an employee assistance programme and onsite confidential sessions
- In-studio heavily subsidised massage therapy
- Discounts for home technology, travel insurance, corporate gym membership, cinema tickets, holidays, trips out and Ikea vouchers, and many local businesses including estate agents
- Studio parties for you and your family; such as our Summer Festival, Christmas Party plus a separate Children’s Christmas Party. We also have Cinema days and wrap parties for game releases
- Studio community activities such as life drawing, creative writing, Pilates, Walking Challenges, Couch to 5k, basketball, game and movie evenings, board game club, 5-a-side football, CA Choir, Sword fighting (yes, sword fighting) and loads more.
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed