PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Are you interested in pushing the boundaries of the game industry? Do you like working at the cutting edge of technology while incorporating your innovations into actual products that will touch over 100 million gamers on PlayStation? Off Console space will evolve and will connect more gamers to gaming.
Principal Software Engineer
San Diego, CA
The Principal Software Engineer role requires partnering across Product Management, Architects, Engineering, Hosting and Operations. Extensive hands-on technical expertise coupled with ingenuity, broad industry knowledge and excellent communication skills. Will use their understanding of technology, frameworks, and constraints to help pave the way for future innovation on our platforms.
You will contribute to architectural direction for our large-scale commerce systems under Sony’s PlayStation Network Platform applying industry standard best practices and implementation to enable highly available, active-active, extensible services.
Participates in product road-map discussions and identify key areas for improvement in the product and incorporates these goals into ongoing & future development initiatives.
Let's talk, if:
- You are passionate about making distributed systems better and have an insatiable thirst to keep learning.
- You have deep expertise in system engineering and have successfully improved the performance of the software stack.
- You design and develop high-quality software solutions that meet requirements. Including code, debugging, and testing.
- You have implemented rigorous standard methodologies for measuring, understanding, predicting, and improving the performance of enterprise grade systems (even better if they happen to be Data oriented).
- You have taken a project from scoping requirements to actual launch of project.
- You know how to build strong partnership with Architects to influence technology decisions.
- You document designs, implementations and tests.
- You have led a development community establishing and influencing quality engineering standard methodologies across the development community.
Required Skills and capabilities.
- BS Degree in Engineering, Computer Science or equivalent experience.
- 10+ years’ experience in software development, programming, design, and analysis.
- Expertise in programming languages and technologies including Java, Python, Golang, and infrastructure as code (Terraform, Cloud formation).
- Experience delivering high performance, active-active, scalable services (Enterprise Java/J2EE, Web Services, Big Data/NoSQL)
- Experience with Containers (Docker and Kubernetes)
- Proficient in software development life cycle, including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
- Track record monitoring and analyzing system performance, isolating issues or bottlenecks that could impact reliability, performance, and scalability.
- Possess deep knowledge of computer science fundamentals such as object-oriented design, data structures, algorithm design, problem solving, and complexity analysis.
- Identifying and mitigating technical risks.
- Strong knowledge of SQL and NoSQL programming (Oracle, Cassandra, Amazon Aurora) including both relational database schema designs and schema-less systems.
- Hands-on experience in Amazon Web Services, at enterprise scale is required including familiarity with DynamoDB, Aurora, EC2, and other AWS services.
- Experience executing performance testing and/or development efforts for a complex, high throughput system.
- Solid understanding of the path(s) customer requests flow from web browser to back-end.
- Synchronous and asynchronous patterns and use cases. (REST,RPC, EDA, Eventual Consistency)
- Understanding of Domain Driven Design
- Understanding of loose coupling software design patterns (i.e., hexagonal architecture)
- Have an opinion around microservice vs SOA.
- Conduct research on emerging technologies and methodologies, and make recommendations for improvement.
- Demonstrated ability to take a project from scoping requirements to actual launch of project.
- Work with other Principal Engineers to align technology and architecture strategies.
- Extensive experience with agile development methodologies and test-driven development processes required.
- Experience with open source technology stacks and scripting technologies required.
- Ability to handle periodic on-call duty as well as out-of-band requests.
- Possess outstanding verbal and written communication skills and be able to work with others at all levels, effective at working with geographically remote and culturally diverse teams.
Helpful but not required.
- Game industry experience
At SIE, we consider several factors when setting each role’s base pay range, including the competitive benchmarking data for the market and geographic location.
Please note that the base pay range may vary in line with our hybrid working policy and individual base pay will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role is eligible for SIE’s top-tier benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), paid time off, wellness program and coveted employee discounts for Sony products. This role also may be eligible for a bonus package. Click here to learn more.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.
Location: United States, San Diego, CA
Country: United States