Principal Network Engineer - Remote/Hybrid
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
Jagex is looking for a Principal Network Engineer to help us undertake the exciting challenge of building a brand new, AAA massively multiplayer online role-playing game.
Home to the iconic MMORPG RuneScape and its extended family of adventurous titles, Jagex is a leading games studio that places our players at the heart of everything we do, connecting and inspiring people through play.
We’ve welcomed over 280 million players to RuneScape’s world of enthralling fantasy and, together with our team of passionate game creators, our community helps to shape how our games evolve. From casting votes on future game content, to interacting with the studio teams in live streams and in chat, we also join together in person at our celebrated fan convention, RuneFest. Together with our players, we’re united as one Jagex tribe.
This is a fantastic opportunity to be instrumental in shaping the future of MMORPGs from the ground-up, at the forefront of Unreal Engine 4 & 5 development. Utilising your exceptional knowledge of multiplayer and network engineering you will architect, implement and maintain the core systems and foundations enabling fantastic player experiences in a massive living world.
Key Duties Include:
- Work with technical leadership and other disciplines to deliver robust and scalable technical solutions to key risks and challenges associated with large-scale, multi-platform networked gameplay.
- Collaborate with design and gameplay teams to enable effective and efficient development of multiplayer features.
- Plan, execute and own prototyping and R&D efforts to mitigate networking and scalability risks, and evaluate upcoming technologies and solutions.
- Provide effective and well-considered feedback, mentoring and coaching for other developers.
- Identify, track and maintain performance requirements associated with networked gameplay.
- Professional experience architecting and developing key networking features on multiple shipped, multiplayer-focused commercial projects.
- Professional experience developing multiplayer games using Unreal Engine.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Strong, proven ability to identify and mitigate risks and edge-cases associated with implementing gameplay features in a multiplayer environment.
- Expert-level understanding of multiplayer gameplay programming techniques and methodologies such as latency compensation, state synchronisation, and network communication.
- Significant professional experience working with modern C++.
- Game-focused, driven by a curiosity to understand why you're solving a problem, empowering you to find the right solution.
- Motivated by delivering value, driving you to focus on the core of a problem and iterating to produce great results.
- Excited by the opportunity to be a part of a collaborative, cross-functional team, helping to craft incredible player experiences.
- Experience with mobile and console development.
- Experience working on MMO game(s).
- Experience working on open-world game(s).
- Experience using automated testing in game development.
- Experience with dedicated server development and orchestration.
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Apply for this job
Location: Fully Remote
Date posted: 2022-01-20