The Principal IT Engineer will be responsible for ensuring the technical strategy for the architecture and design of the IT systems support team aligns with business and departmental strategies. They will work closely with Product and IT Management to provide technical direction to engineers and provide technical recommendations to product owners. The role involves driving the development and adoption of technical principles, standards, and procedures across the IT engineering community. The Principal IT Engineer will also be responsible for creating, defining, and maintaining the standards from which IT Services are built upon and adhered to by the other IT teams. The ideal candidate should have proven commercial experience in a similar role and be proficient and experienced in various technical disciplines such as operating systems, cloud compute and services, virtualization infrastructure, WAN and LAN networking, firewalls, system monitoring, automation and infrastructure as code, and information security. The company offers flexible working, bonus scheme, private health care, gym membership, and other benefits.
As a Principal IT Engineer, your primary focus will be to ensure the technical strategy for the architecture and design of the IT systems support team aligns with business and departmental strategies.
The IT Systems team is responsible for supporting, maintaining, and advancing the Jagex IT infrastructure. You will play a key role working closely with Product and IT Management by providing technical direction to engineers and working with in-house domain experts to provide technical recommendations to product owners.
You will also be accountable for delivering on that strategy, by driving the development and adoption of technical principles, standards, and procedures across the IT engineering community.
Through collaboration you will build a good understanding of the problem spaces that IT Engineers at Jagex operate in and will use that understanding to develop technical principles that are meaningful and useful.
You will engage with IT Management and business stakeholders in the development and implementation of new business initiatives and projects by receiving business problems and requests and translating these into solutions.
Your goal is not only delivering on IT System strategy, but also to enable and inspire other Engineers and Technicians to resolve complicated issues and requests effectively; by coaching, mentoring, and driving improvement and adoption of all IT support and troubleshooting procedures.
As part of your role will also have the responsibility for creating, defining, and maintaining the standards from which IT Services are built upon and adhered to by the other IT teams.
This role will allow legions of gamers to play our games, by enabling our Studios and Commercial areas to create the best possible games. If you are a passionate gamer with a strong IT background, we have the job for you!
Key Duties Include:
- Proven commercial experience in a similar role.
- Provide a technical vision to engineers and product owners to better inform implementation decisions which will help define the strategic direction of the IT services team.
- Develop end-to-end solutions with an agile mindset to release business value as soon as possible. Provide different levels of documentation for each state of the effort including time, cost estimates and implications.
- Collaborate with engineers and domain experts to continually improve and adapt the technical vision to meet the changing environment and IT landscape.
- Provide, when asked an impartial fact-based view of implementation decisions to product owners, based on domain expert advice, industry best practice and a view to overall architecture.
- Encourage the sharing and dissemination of information from domain experts to engineers with a practical interest.
- Network and communicate with senior stakeholders across organisations and proactively seek out opportunities for digital transformation.
- Support multiple teams, finding and using best practice and emerging technologies.
- Build and maintain systems both on prem and in the cloud.
- Work with developers to design, and implement, infrastructure according to in-house standards and industry best practices.
- Develop and document in-house standards, procedures, and best practices.
- Support other members of the IT team with the implementation of standards.
- Ensure compliance with all standards and practices.
- Support other members of the IT team to develop their expertise.
- Installation and upkeep of all data centre premises
- Network & Database Administration and Troubleshooting
- Support of a variety of the Jagex IT Services (i.e. AWS, Game Application Servers, IT Audits, Virtualization Services, PCI, Security Services, Build and Deployment Services etc.)
- Act as trusted entity supporting ITIL functions
Knowledge & Experience:
- The candidate is expected to be proficient and experienced to a very high standard in the design, implementation, configuration, and on-going support of the following technical disciplines:
- In addition to the above it is expected the candidate to have a good working knowledge and be able to support and troubleshoot the following areas.
- A good understanding of Agile Methodologies, experience working in Kanban, or as part of a cross-functional team
o Operating Systems (i.e. Linux)
o Cloud Compute and Services (AWS)
o Virtualisation Infrastructure – (i.e. VMWare, AWS)
o Storage Area Networks (storage & network)
o WAN Networking (i.e., BGP, OSPF)
o LAN Networking (Core Routing/Switching)
o Firewalls (preferably Palo Alto)
o System Monitoring
o Automation and Infrastructure as Code (i.e., CI/CD, Terraform, Puppet, Ansible, scripting)
o Directory Services, DNS, DHCP, Authentication and Authorization Service
o Network and System Configuration Management and Repositories
o Patch and Release Life Cycle Management
o Information Security (i.e., Security Standards, PCI, CIS, DDoS prevention, IDS/IPS, Privileged Access Management)
o Business Continuity and Disaster Recovery (process and technical implementation)
o Scripting (i.e. Bash, Python)
o Managing security solutions like MFA, AV, EDR
o Managing application services like DBMS, Web Proxy, WAF, and other cloud offerings, Messaging
· Understanding and good working knowledge of architecture methodologies
· Must be a gamer at heart.
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Monthly Energy Allowance
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Apply for this job
Country: United States
Date found: 2023-03-17