Free Range Games
Free Range Games grows games the old fashioned way: we don’t put our team in cages, we work distributedly, and we don’t use toxic work/life trade-offs. Some of our crafters have worked together from PS1 to PS5 and will tell you about carving games one triangle at a time from punch cards.
We are some of the folk behind Spider-man, Tony Hawk, Lord of the Rings, Twitch Sings, Oddworld, Callisto Protocol, Shrek Super Slam, and dozens of mobile and web games. We believe every member of the team has a voice in what the game should be.
We prioritize community, family, and love-of-gaming over process, crunching, and TPS reports. And maybe that’s what you want too.
Free Range Games is looking for an engineer that has implemented the core mechanics of a good 3d action, fighting, or action sports title. Our unannounced title is based on deep, skill-based controls and next-gen animation - extreme action combined with combat. This is the forte of our studio, but this is a huge title, and we need someone who can own core gameplay mechanics.
- Bring together physics, animation, controls and camera into one elegant system.
- Craft that system into gameplay gold.
- Delegate features and feature breadth to other gameplay coders.
- Work with animators to create buttery locomotion with anim blends and tertiary motion.
- Work with design on variations to the core based on equipment and environments.
- Comp Sci or Math degree.
- 10+ years with a C variant.
- Vector Math and Linear Algebra as first language.
- Understand rigid body physics, constraints, joints.
- Shipped console games as a primary gameplay coder
Equal Opportunity Employer Statement
Free Range Games is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
This policy applies to all employment practices within our organization, including hiring, recruiting, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, leave of absence, compensation, benefits, training, and apprenticeship. Free Range Games makes hiring decisions based solely on qualifications, merit, and business needs at the time.
Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States. Free Range Games participates in E-Verify.
Location: US - Remote
Country: United States