We are pleased to announce that we have a key role appointment for a Principal Character Concept Artist to join our management team at our Gateshead studio. This role is for a Senior level artist with a proven record of creating artwork for major projects in the entertainment industry, as well as line-management and project leadership experience. The role presents an exciting and challenging opportunity to help shape the continuing growth and success of our award-winning art and design services, working with global entertainment companies such as Warner Bros, Sony, Lego, Microsoft, Marvel and BBC to name but a few.
Principal Concept Artists are responsible for leading teams to create concepts in a broad range of styles in accordance with the requirements of each project/client. The role involves creating artwork and design at all stages of the development cycle, including concept and idea generation, fast sketching (including storyboards), colour/light studies and polished illustration work, as well as providing team management and feedback. The role involves approximately 80% art creation and 20% management.
Typical projects often require the visualisation of various subjects, characters and props. Adaptability is therefore a key skill. Candidates must have a broad range of styles and be able to demonstrate a good spread of realistic, fantasy, sci-fi and stylised work.
For this particular role we are looking for an experienced team member that consistently delivers high-quality work that meets and often exceeds client expectations. The successful candidate will be able to work quickly and should consistently deliver innovative/high-quality ideas and polished final art/designs. They should have prior experience of working directly with clients and be comfortable discussing projects with members of Atomhawk's production and senior management teams.
They will be able to interpret briefs on their own and also mentor and guide others. They will be actively involved in staff training and development, assist with monthly artist one-to-ones and bi-annual appraisals and show leadership by example.
Please download and read our portfolio guide, which provides detailed guidance on what we look for in artist portfolios. Download the guide from http://atomhawk.com/s/Atomhawk_Portfolio_Guide.pdf
- Creating concept art for characters and objects to various levels of finish and time constraints.
- Creating illustrations for keyframes, box art and other marketing purposes.
- Visual storytelling, ensuring that the image captivates the viewer’s imagination.
- Mechanical design – Knowledge of industrial design principals and their application to fictional vehicles, machines, weapons etc
- Character design – creative, unique and interesting characters in a range of styles.
- Has a good understanding of the creative processes and workflows with the ability to direct their aesthetic output and quality.
- Helps to define creative workflows.
- Sets schedules and breaks down workflows for new projects alongside production.
- Gives regular feedback to teams with the ability to inspire those around them.
- Review documentation, briefs and visual targets for multiple projects.
- Can be entrusted to speak on behalf of the project, to clients during onsite and offsite visits and meetings.
- Can be entrusted to represent the company and its values at external events and communicate its message safely and effectively.
- Actively proposes mitigation plans for identified risks and problems.
- Identifies areas requiring innovation and is a part of creating innovative solutions for an area of expertise.
- Stays current with trends and brings innovation where possible.
- Is part of strong leadership in the studio.
- Helps define and communicate both technical and non-technical, information to art team, production and management.
- Adapts content of information for the intended audience.
- Provides feedback on the work of other internal or external artists where required.
- Partners within Creative Leadership Team (includes MD, Creative Dev Director and Canada Studio Director).
- Is involved in the recruiting and hiring process.
We look for the following things in people who want to join our team:
- Quality at all stages of the process – Creation of artwork that is well presented and defined from sketch through to final polish. You can see examples of our finished work on our website,
- Design thinking – Solving creative problems through innovative design, balancing form and function,
- Technical skill – Fluency in Photoshop and an understanding of complimentary software and tools,
- 3D skills - Experience using 3D software such as Core, Mudbox, Blender, 3DsMax, Z-Brush and Maya,
- Art fundamentals – A strong grasp of colour, light, composition, anatomy, perspective and depth,
- Variety and iteration – The ability to provide multiple creative options, then iterate upon them as projects progress,
- Adaptability – Switching quickly and fluidly to new requirements and processes when required,
- Working to a brief – Understanding creative briefs, then considering elements such as context, timescales and creative constraints when solving tasks,
- Time management – Creation of high-quality work within allocated timescales,
- Collaboration – Receptive to taking feedback and working together with team-mates and clients.
Atomhawk produces the very best in cutting-edge creative conceptualisation, visualisation, and realisation. Our client list includes major names - 2K, EA, Microsoft, Sony and WB Games all feature. And we like variety. Every project is different from the last. The spectrum covers gritty, hard-hitting Mortal Kombat, irreverent and stylised Surgeon Simulator 2, comic book superheroes, nostalgic childhood favourites and all things in between. Whichever franchise is on today’s agenda - DC, Halo, Marvel, Mortal Kombat and Warhammer - we move through their worlds with ease and creative curiosity.
The work our team produces is world-class. We’ve celebrated that fact in three artbooks. Each one features concept art, tutorials and professional tips. Volume 3 was created to mark the studio’s 10th anniversary, and was displayed and sold at the Great North Museum: Hancock in Newcastle, where we held the exhibition Other Worlds: The Art of Atomhawk in 2020. You can take a virtual tour of the exhibition here.
Our output hasn’t gone unnoticed. We received Best Companies’ 3 Star Accreditation 2021 and Top Companies North East 2021. We hold the Queen’s Award for Enterprise for International Trade, as well as the TIGA Star Award 2021. We were also named Best Art/Animation/Trailer Supplier at the 2021 Develop Star Awards.
Creativity thrives through diversity, not conformity. Every Atomhawk applicant and employee is afforded space and freedom to be their true self, with no fear of prejudice or persecution. During the application process, you won’t be judged on your name, your gender, your sexuality, your ethnicity, your age, your religion, or any other factor unrelated to your ability to do the job.
As well as having the chance to work on some incredible projects, Atomhawk offers a unique environment for those wanting to be surrounded by like-minded creative people. We have one of the largest in-house teams of specialist digital artists in the world, providing a collaborative community that works, develops and socialises together.
Atomhawk provides structured career development and training pathways for staff at all levels. We offer flexible working hours and a strict ‘No-Crunch’ culture, meaning overtime is not required or forced within the art team. This is alongside a competitive salary, relocation allowance and comprehensive benefit and bonus scheme.
Our UK studio is based in the North East of England on the banks of the River Tyne. Newcastle Quayside is just a short walk from our office, with hundreds of bars, shops and restaurants to choose from. Not only being one of the UK’s most affordable major cities to live in, it is also close to the coast and countryside, perfect for when you want a change of pace from the buzz of the city. Transport connections are excellent, with Newcastle International Airport offering flights across the world.
Atomhawk is part of Sumo Group Ltd, one of the UK’s leading videogame developers.
Apply for this job
Location: Atomhawk Newcastle
Date found: 2022-11-06
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed