We are looking for a Narrative Craft Director to join our Puzzle Studio and lead our Narrative Craft to the next level.
The Narrative Craft Director is the champion and chief advocate of all things narrative at the studio, helping to ensure excellence in storytelling across a robust slate of games with diverse narrative needs. They will work hands-on with game teams as required, engaging in high-level creative decision-making while mentoring and amplifying the work of other narrative designers.
- Work closely with the Design Director to set the vision and priorities of the narrative craft.
- Lead the studio’s narrative strategy by responding to and helping to set the narrative goals of each game team.
- Stay on top of (and ahead of!) the market, identifying, developing, and communicating best practices for everything related to storytelling in games.
- Review games at each stage of their development, utilizing expertise and communication skills to guide teams toward creative excellence.
- As needed, join game teams as a temporary member to help them set processes, overcome specific challenges, or push toward an important goal.
- Assist with staffing considerations and individual placements, making sure that each game team has the right Narrative Designers for their unique needs.
- Mentor the studio’s Narrative Designers through workshops, group discussions, and one-on-one conversations to ensure they’re both challenged and equipped to meet those challenges.
- Provide narrative design insight and expertise to sister discipline leads, such as production, art, game design, and audio.
- Help find and manage external writers as required.
Who we think will do great in this role has:
- Proven experience as a Lead Writer, Lead Narrative Designer, Narrative Director, or equivalent.
- Worked on and shipped 5+ games.
- Extensive knowledge of interactive storytelling, plot, and narrative structure in F2P mobile games and other digital media.
- Proven ability to build memorable, lovable game worlds; craft sharp, clear, goal-oriented dialogue; and create unforgettable, charming characters for diverse target audiences.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas through verbal, written, and visual means.
- Ability to seamlessly switch between different writing styles and tones.
- Ability to work independently or as a part of a design team.
- Keen interest in sharing learnings across Rovio.
- Strong ability to mentor and teach designers.
- Experience in steering externals.
- First meeting: You will meet the hiring manager. The aim is for us to know who you are, what your experience has been, and what motivates you. This is also an opportunity for you to learn about Rovio, the wider team, and the specifics of the role.
- Test: You will do an exercise to complete in your own time.
- Second round: Review your test with Craft Members
- Final round: You will be invited to meet the team lead and team member(s). Our aim is to get a clear overview of your skills, how you would fit with our working culture, your ambitions, and where we can help each other develop.
Rovio’s Puzzle Studio has their sights set on becoming the most successful casual puzzle game studio in the world. Exploring new and emerging trends in puzzle games, the studio has built a deep understanding of the puzzle genre and its players since its founding in 2014. The studio has introduced innovations in puzzle game core with the free-flowing Angry Birds Dream Blast, several match 3 games such as Angry Birds Match and Small Town Murders as well as slingshot games like Angry Birds Friends and a great newcomer Angry Birds Journey. With their games, Puzzle Studio aims to create a true emotional connection that stays with players even when they’re not playing.
We welcome applicants to use the name they want to be addressed by in the application form, regardless of whether it is their legal name.
What to expect when you join us
Meet the Rovians
Apply for this job
Location: Helsinki Metropolitan Area
Date found: 2022-11-05
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed