PlayStation isn’t just the Best Place to Play — it’s also the Best Place to Work. Today, we’re recognized as a global leader in entertainment producing The PlayStation family of products and services including PlayStation®5, PlayStation®4, PlayStation®VR, PlayStation®Plus, acclaimed PlayStation software titles from PlayStation Studios, and more.
PlayStation also strives to create an inclusive environment that empowers employees and embraces diversity. We welcome and encourage everyone who has a passion and curiosity for innovation, technology, and play to explore our open positions and join our growing global team.
The PlayStation brand falls under Sony Interactive Entertainment, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Sony Corporation.
Manager, Machine Learning
San Mateo, CA
Future Technology Group, Game Service R&D
The Future Technology Group are PlayStation’s technology experts! We develop innovative technologies that push the boundaries of play, helping game developers make the best games on PlayStation by crafting an extraordinary gaming experience.
As part of the Future Technology Group team, you will be leading small focused project teams responsible for researching and implementing innovative technologies using Machine Learning, and finding ways to apply them to our platform and services.
We are looking for an ML leader to supervise teams that develop core technology and conduct innovative research in applying Machine Learning to different technological challenges. Our focus is on areas such as content creation, AI assisted design, animation, and autonomous gameplay agents.
In this role, you will be defining the vision and direction of your team and driving forward the progression of the projects you are responsible for. A successful candidate will be able to demonstrate an ability to lead highly technical teams, with a track record of successfully completed projects.
- Work with local and remote teams to deliver innovative research and product development, applying Machine Learning to different technological challenges.
- Be a key contributor to implement the overall strategy and plans of the Future Technology Group’s vision, working closely with the engineering and product counterparts.
- Communicate effectively across functions and to the broader organization as well as leadership on the vision and project status.
- Articulate the technology, requirements, goals, and milestones of your team.
- Be a strong people manager for career development and mentorship for your team.
- Building positive relationships across the organization to better understand the opportunities and technical requirements of different business units.
- Ability to assess risks, propose and act on mitigations, and bring up to the technology leadership team if needed.
- MS or PhD in a relevant field with a minimum of 3 years or more of relevant machine learning work experience with an emphasis on research and development
- 2+ years leading and running highly technical teams working on and developing machine learning models and technologies
- Working experience of programming languages, such as Python/C++
- Experience establishing work relationships across multi-disciplinary teams and multiple partners with the ability to articulate technical information in a clear and concise manner at all levels from executive staff to engineers.
- A history of delivering technical projects from inception to delivery.
- Experience working with technical management teams to develop systems, solutions, and products with the ability to think strategically and craft compelling project visions
- Demonstrated experience of strong people management which includes hiring, mentoring, and leading high functioning development teams
Benefits of working in the Future Technology Group
- Technology development is not constrained by specific games/engines.
- Opportunities to work on collaborative projects with R&D teams across world, and with academia.
- Continued opportunity to further develop existing skills and learn and develop new skills.
- Innovation time for research and projects of your own choosing.
- Opportunities to participate in global hackathons.
- Opportunity to contribute to the global strategy and vision for FTG
Relaxed working environment with high level of trust and autonomy. All staff are encouraged to express their views and challenge the status quo.
At SIE, we consider several factors when setting each role’s base pay range, including the competitive benchmarking data for the market and geographic location.
Please note that the base pay range may vary in line with our hybrid working policy and individual base pay will be determined based on job-related factors which may include knowledge, skills, experience, and location.
In addition, this role is eligible for SIE’s top-tier benefits package that includes medical, dental, vision, matching 401(k), paid time off, wellness program and coveted employee discounts for Sony products. This role also may be eligible for a bonus package. Click here to learn more.
Equal Opportunity Statement:
Sony is an Equal Opportunity Employer. All persons will receive consideration for employment without regard to gender (including gender identity, gender expression and gender reassignment), race (including colour, nationality, ethnic or national origin), religion or belief, marital or civil partnership status, disability, age, sexual orientation, pregnancy or maternity, trade union membership or membership in any other legally protected category.
We strive to create an inclusive environment, empower employees and embrace diversity. We encourage everyone to respond.
PlayStation is a Fair Chance employer and qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records will be considered for employment.
Location: United States, San Mateo, CA
Country: United States