Wizards Of The Coast
At Wizards of the Coast, we connect people around the world through play and imagination. From our genre-defining games like Magic: The Gathering® and Dungeons & Dragons® to our growing multiverse, we continue to innovate and build new ways to foster friendship and connection. That’s where you come in!
Magic: The Gathering's Editing & Rules Team exists at the crossroads of Magic creation, as game design and worldbuilding transform into print-ready assets and external-facing communications.The Manager, Editing & Rules supports this highly specialized team through every step of the process, from the earliest stages of game design through print production and support for the product release itself.
This role will be passionate about these three main pillars:
- Leading a cohesive and high-functioning team of technical game editors, production editors, and rules specialists by managing workloads, developing skills, keeping close tabs on resourcing, recruiting the best emerging talent in the field, and reinforcing a culture of inclusivity and excellence.
- Developing a culture of collaboration and integration between the editing & rules team and multiple other subject areas, including game designers, worldbuilding designers, product architects, production artists, producers, digital game leads, marketing teams, and studio leadership.
- Owning the execution of a high volume of cross-team editing, information management, and technical game design, including database maintenance, coordination with digital artists and typesetting teams, technical documentation, and efforts to improve the overall efficiency and accuracy of our workflows.
What You'll Do
- Engage and grow – Conduct weekly one-on-ones and daily check-ins with the team. Actively listen, monitor, and improve the team's emotional and cultural landscape. Give direct guidance and feedback to help each staff member grow.
- Hire and develop people – Work with peers and studio leadership to identify present and future needs for hiring. Follow the best hiring practices, including sourcing, tests, interview process, and selection criteria. Guide, train, and mentor new hires to ramp them up effectively into the role.
- Guide and improve workflow – Observe the dynamic and workflow of the team. Creatively evolve, adjust, and implement process to ensure success, harmony, and a balanced workload and vibrant culture.
- Measure and improve work – Partner with peers, studio leaders, and the team to define standards for quality; create and perform measurements for qualitative and quantitative assessments of work and skills. Create opportunities for one-on-one training, peer training, and seminars to improve team performance.
- Workload planning – Work with project stakeholders to coordinate the efforts of 10+ editors and rules specialists across 15+ concurrent projects. Maintain schedules for team tasks.
- Partner with Everyone – Communicate and coordinate with other teams throughout the studio, including game design, worldbuilding, product architecture, creative production, package design, localization, and other partners to ensure accurate execution of product vision and strategy.
What You’ll Bring:
- 5+ years’ experience leading editorial and/or game development teams.
- People-centric and nurturing leadership skills, to deal with a wide variety of people and situations.
- Familiarity with Magic: The Gathering.
- Steadfast drive for fostering and growing talent.
- Flexible, adaptable, creative mentality with a constant thirst for knowledge.
- Self-motivated curiosity, active listening, and a diverse toolbox of leadership skills.
- Compassion, emotional intelligence, and a deep understanding of people.
- Excellent communication skills to improve our shared vision.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. If you are selected to move forward in our application process and need to request an accommodation, please let your recruiter or coordinator know.
In compliance with local law, we are disclosing the compensation range for this role. The range listed is just one component of Wizards of the Coast’s total compensation package for employees. Employees may also be eligible for annual and long-term incentives. In addition, Wizards of the Coast provides a variety of benefits to employees. Here’s a look at what your benefits package may include: Medical, Dental & Vision Insurance, Paid Vacation Time & Holidays, Generous 401(k) match, Paid Parental Leave, Volunteer Program, Employee Giving & Matching Gifts Programs, Tuition Reimbursement, Product Discounts, and more.
Location: Renton, WA
Country: United States