Reflector, a company of the Bandai Namco group, is seeking a Level Designer to work closely with the Level Design Director in all stages of game production. The Level Designer will be responsible for implementing prototypes, creating game levels, proposing and using different gameplay elements to generate emotion for players, integrating game content, and debugging while respecting technical constraints and the game's direction. The ideal candidate should have a minimum of five years of experience as a Level Designer, worked through all production stages of at least one AAA console video game, have good 3D layout creation skills, scripting ability, and knowledge of Rational Level Design theory. Experience with the Unreal game engine is a plus. The candidate should have high-quality standards, be creative, adaptable, proactive, autonomous, motivated, and have the maturity to give and receive constructive criticism.
Headquartered in Montreal, Reflector, a company of the Bandai Namco group, is a new breed of studio working with top talents to create high-quality, compelling content for global audiences. By employing a true transmedia approach, where content is built outwards from fully fleshed “Storyworlds”, the company is able to tell richer, deeper stories that connect with fans everywhere.
Working closely with the Level Design Director, the Level Designer is deeply involved in all stage of the game production. He will be in charge, with the collaboration of all departments, of the implementation of prototypes, the creation of game’s level, the proposition and use of the different gameplay’s ingredient to generate emotion for our players, the integration of game’s contents as well as been responsible of the first debug while respecting the technical constraints and the game’s direction.
- Share and understand the creative direction and the game design’s documentation;
- Understand how the global experience of the game is impacted by his level;
- Work on prototypes to validate game’s concepts and extract rules from it;
- Responsible, in collaboration with the art and the narrative teams, of the conception of the layout of game’s level as well as the mission it must supports;
- Build the blockmesh version of the layout conceived and do the follow-up with the art team;
- Integrate all game’s elements required, based on the targeted difficulty, to support the game’s intention, and do the follow-up regularly with the Arts, Narratives and Game Design teams;
- In charge of the required scripting in the game’s mission/level;
- Insure the intention feasibility in collaboration with the Technical Directors and the Programmers;
- Present your intentions and the progress of your work to Directors;
- Keep up-to-date the appropriate documentation to ease collaborative works with other departments;
- Participate in the game’s quality by fixing issues found by the Quality Assurance team;
- Collaborate with the Programmers team to track and eliminate the most critical issues;
- Iterate work, based on your own feedback, the team’s feedback, or the players feedbacks, in order to achieve the highest possible quality.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience as a Level Designer;
- Worked through all production’s stages of a minimum of one (1) video game, preferably an ‘AAA’ console video game;
- Good 3D layout creation skills and its technical constraint;
- Good scripting ability (Blueprint, LUA, …);
- Good knowledge of Rational Level Design theory is essential (Player’s progression, pacing, difficulty, variety ...);
- Interest in narrative and realization is a plus;
- Experience with the Unreal game engine is a plus;
- Have high quality standards;
- Be creative ;
- Demonstrate adaptability and be solution oriented;
- Be Proactive and autonomous at work;
- Be Motivated and have a positive attitude;
- Have the maturity to give and receive constructive criticism.
Apply for this job
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Date found: 2023-03-17