We are seeking a motivated Senior Legal Counsel to join the APAC legal team and be based out of our Tokyo office. Your role will function as the primary legal support, acting as counsel for the various business and functional teams in Japan, and your work will span across a wide variety of different industries in which Unity’s customers operate.
Most importantly, you will work closely with, advise and provide counsel to the Japan Country Manager. We highly value “can-do” and collaborative personalities, so if you possess a passion for creative problem-solving in a fast moving environment, this job would be an excellent fit for you!
What you’ll be doing
- You will take the lead on drafting, reviewing and advising on a wide range of commercial transactions including technology, software, professional services, and other strategic partnership agreements.
- A key and instrumental part of what you do, will be to establish the legal processes and procedures, as well as customize and localize new forms and templates, for the Japan team.
- As part of your responsibilities, you will be dealing and proactively engaging with, most if not all departments in the Japan office, including sales, marketing, finance, facilities, HR, engineering. This will in addition to acting as primary legal advisor to the Country Manager.
- Another important aspect of the role would be to handle the document signing and stamping process, statutory filings, corporate compliance, labor law compliance and other related matters within Japan.
What we’re looking for
- Law degree, and qualified in at least one APAC jurisdiction (preferably Japan).
- Relevant post-qualification legal experience, with a strong focus on commercial transactions.
- Ability to clearly and effectively connect with executives and business personnel, across various functions, geographies and timezones.
- High level of familiarity working with technology and tools (Google drive/docs, Box, Slack, JIRA, other legal tech).
- Proficiency in Japanese and English (other languages are a bonus!)
You might also have
- Strong preference for technical background and prior in-house experience at technology companies.
- Financially literate, with a basic understanding of revenue recognition.
- Curiosity about new technologies and intellectual property.
Life at Unity
Unity (NYSE: U) is the world’s leading platform for creating and operating real-time 3D (RT3D) content. Creators, ranging from game developers to artists, architects, automotive designers, filmmakers, and others, use Unity to make their imaginations come to life. Unity’s platform provides a comprehensive set of software solutions to create, run and monetize interactive, real-time 2D and 3D content for mobile phones, tablets, PCs, consoles, and augmented and virtual reality devices.
Unity is at the forefront of development by working alongside partners to ensure optimized support for the latest releases and platforms. Apps developed by Unity creators were downloaded more than five billion times per month in 2020. For more information, please visit www.unity.com.
Unity is an equal opportunity employer committed to fostering an inclusive, innovative environment with the best employees. Therefore, we provide employment opportunities without regard to age, race, color, ancestry, national origin, disability, gender, or any other protected status in accordance with applicable law. If there are preparations or accommodations we can make to help ensure you have a comfortable and positive interview experience, please let us know.
Headhunters and recruitment agencies may not submit resumes/CVs through this website or directly to managers. Unity does not accept unsolicited headhunter and agency resumes. Unity will not pay fees to any third-party agency or company that does not have a signed agreement with Unity.
Location: Tokyo, Japan
Date posted: 2022-01-20