Skydance New Media is seeking a Lead World Artist to join their team in developing a high-quality, AAA single-player story-driven action-adventure game built using the Unreal Engine. The Lead World Artist will be responsible for leading a team of internal and external artists in the creation of photo-realistic game environments with cinematic production design, often using photogrammetry. The ideal candidate should have world art development experience on 3 or more AAA console video games, world art leadership experience on 1 or more AAA console video games, and an extensive understanding of AAA game level development. The salary range for this position in Los Angeles is $120,000 - $190,000. Skydance New Media is an equal opportunity employer committed to building and fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce.
Why Join Us?
To put it simply: you’ll work with great people, making top-tier, high-quality interactive experiences with the best IP in the world. We set out to build an uncompromising vision for a game studio and found the ideal partner in Skydance to extend its reach and sustainability. To fully deliver our vision for these games we assembled the best external development, publishing and IP partners in the world. Our internal team will remain small relative to other AAA developers so we can all maintain the highest levels of familiarity, trust and effectiveness. You’ll be surrounded by industry veterans, currently with an average of 20 years’ experience, in a climate of mutual trust, maturity, candor and playful collaboration. We believe that life’s too short to work with difficult people, regardless of talent, so exceptional character and strong principles are requirements for every role. Your days will be focused on solving creative and technical problems, not navigating corporate politics.
We are open to a spectrum of remote working and office scenarios for staff. This will include regular team get-togethers and travel throughout the year, so we benefit from the best of both worlds – flexibility and efficiency as well as team cohesion.
Skydance New Media is open to hiring remote employees within California and Vancouver, British Columbia. Applicants must be willing to relocate to one of these locations.
What you’ll do:
We are searching for a Lead World Artist to join our core team developing a high quality, AAA single-player story-driven action-adventure game built using the Unreal Engine.
Our art team is small, and we want to expand it with someone capable of bringing both deep expertise in world art while also being able to guide a distributed team of internal and external artists to get results. We only hire talented, collaborative people with strong communication skills who are laser focused on achieving excellent results.
In this role, you will: [What are they actually going to have to do?]
- Lead a very senior internal team and external team of artists in the creation of photo-realistic game environments with cinematic production design, often using photogrammetry.
- Lead and create level art from ideation to final polish and optimization
- Identify, plan and participate in photogrammetry acquisition sessions, locally and across the world
- Collaborate closely and proactively with Design, Art and Cinematography teams
- Collaborate with external art partners, including with the creation of guidelines and delivering feedback
- Construct environments using 3D packages and Unreal Editor (5.1+)
- Create visual targets and photo-realistic content sets
- Coordinate with all disciplines on plans, levels, dependencies, and performance budgets
We are looking for people who: [Human characteristics of the person in this role]
- Are able to push visual quality to a high degree of realism using photogrammetry as a foundation
- Thrive in a self-driven environment
- Have excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Are a great cross-discipline collaborator
- Have a strong understanding of level design and layout
- Have a great understanding of visual composition, shape, color and lighting
- Are passionate for creating cinematic photo-realistic content
- Have world art development experience on 3 or more AAA console video games
- Have world art leadership experience on 1 or more AAA console video games, using photogrammetry as a foundation for art creation
- Have an extensive understanding of AAA game level development
- Have a strong understanding of Game engine limitations and possibilities
- Have strong time management and long term planning skills
- Are able to find and adapt real world references to game environments
- Unreal Engine mastery is a plus
- Photogrammetry experience is a plus
The salary range for this position in Los Angeles is $120,000 - $190,000. The salary offered may vary based on the candidate’s location, qualifications, experience and relevant expertise, among other factors. The range indicated is for base salary only and does not reflect the total compensation package, including bonus, benefits, etc.
We realize that skills and expertise can come from many different experiences and paths, and we encourage you to apply even if you don’t meet all of the requirements as written in the job description.
What is Skydance New Media?
Amy Hennig (co-creator of the Uncharted series) and Julian Beak, both 30-year veterans in the game industry, have built a new studio with Skydance Media (the studio behind Mission: Impossible, Top Gun: Maverick, The Old Guard, Grace and Frankie) that is laser-focused on premium action-adventure games with rich, compelling stories. Our first productions will tap into the traditions of adventure cinema to create an engaging, energetic experience that captures the spirit of TV and film to excite both gamers and non-gamers alike. These games will be best-in-class for both visual fidelity and innovative gameplay on the latest console platforms and PCs.
Visit Our Website: Skydance New Media
Skydance is a diversified media company founded by David Ellison in 2010 to create high quality, event-level entertainment for global audiences. The Company brings to life stories of immersive worlds across its feature film, television, interactive, and animation divisions.
Skydance is proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to building and fostering a diverse, equitable, and inclusive workforce. We welcome and consider applicants for employment regardless of race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, citizenship, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, marital status, pregnancy status, military/veteran status, disability, or any other protected category. Diversity in the workplace is not just a commitment, it is who we are and a reflection of what makes our world special.
Recruitment Fraud Alert
It has come to our attention that there may be fraudulent activity by individuals impersonating our Talent Acquisition team. Skydance will only contact you from an official “@skydance.com” email address. If you suspect that you are being contacted by an unauthorized person or believe that the correspondence you have received is suspicious, please do not click on any links or attachments in such emails and submit any questions or concerns to our information security team at email@example.com.
Apply for this job
Date found: 2023-04-29