Do you have experience managing and leading a team of technical artists? Insomniac Games is looking for a Senior Lead Technical Artist to join its Core Technology department and manage the Tech Art group that’s pushing forward the state of the art in materials, photogrammetry, and procedural workflows.
This job is primarily team management and direction, with room to provide individual technical contribution as time allows. You’ll be setting goals and making strategies for the technical art discipline at Insomniac, and you’ll be managing, mentoring, and caring for the well-being of your team members. You should have some experience with people management or technical leadership in some form.
The Tech Art group at Insomniac is part of the Core Technology department and works outside of any direct project schedules and deliverables. Their responsibilities include Substance pipelines to work with materials, ownership of the material system in Insomniac’s custom game engine, integrated and non-integrated Houdini pipelines for city generation and other environmental art tasks, and more. This group has also been building out an industry-leading photogrammetry pipeline, with an in-house scanning booth and portable scanners to capture people and objects for use in game.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following.
- Lead a team of approximately 8 technical artists in the design and development of Insomniac’s technical art tools and pipelines
- Drive the forward development of Insomniac’s technical art
- Provide technical and creative direction and feedback to your team
- Provide coaching, performance evaluation, and career development for members of your team
- Contribute code to some tools and pipelines, though never at the expense of non-technical responsibilities
- Plan, organize, monitor, and evaluate your team's work
- Communicate technical requirements and limitations to production teams
- Participate in the hiring and onboarding of new employees
- Collaborate with Insomniac studio leadership to support studio cultural values and foster a positive work environment
- Other duties may be assigned
Supervisory Responsibilities: Directly supervises a small team
Education and/or Experience:
- A thorough understanding of the technical art landscape in game development
- An aptitude for people management/developing leadership skills, with a particular focus on employee well-being
- Skills in using Python, HLSL, and common DCC tools like Houdini and Substance
- Excellent verbal and written communication
- Past demonstrated technical leadership of any kind
- Previous experience managing people
- Experience scheduling, scoping, and/or distributing technical work
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed