Atomhawk is seeking a Lead/Principal Technical Artist to join their Technical Art team. The successful candidate will play a key role in developing the service line and product offering of the team, building on Atomhawk’s reputation and work with some of the best brands in the digital entertainment sector. The ideal candidate should be a skilled problem solver, an inspiring and enthusiastic team player who has a creatively pragmatic approach to solving technical challenges. They should have a demonstrable understanding of Python/C#/C++/Scripting Languages or similar systems, modern 3D engines and game engines (e.g. Unreal, Unity), and troubleshooting skills. The Technical Art Generalist will be involved in the development of software and hardware solutions tailored to suit the needs of a range of projects and clients. The ideal candidate should have excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills, diligence with tasks, schedule and adherence to budget limitations, and a positive attitude. The Lead/Principal Technical Artist should have an applied understanding of game development process, ideally from a background of working on the creation of games. Atomhawk encourages remote applications and offers flexible working hours and a strict ‘No-Crunch’ culture, meaning overtime is not required within the art team.
We are looking for a Lead/Principal Technical Artist to join Atomhawk’s growing Technical Art team. They will play a key role in the senior team; helping develop the service line and product offering of this new team, building on Atomhawk’s reputation and work with some of the best brands in the digital entertainment sector.
This role requires someone who is a skilled problem solver, an inspiring and enthusiastic team player who has a creatively pragmatic approach to solving technical challenges. The successful candidate will thrive in a technically creative and ever-changing environment where daily deadlines are handled with confidence.
As a key member of the project delivery team they will ensure Technical Art projects are creatively outstanding and of high technical quality. On a more practical level, the Technical Art Generalist will be involved in development of software and hardware solutions tailored to suit the needs of a range of projects and clients. They will also take a positive role in developing the standard of Atomhawk’s own internal pipelines and tools.
The ideal candidate will be an excellent communicator and comfortable producing technical documentation whilst working with various degrees of ownership. They will enjoy providing feedback to their team and quality control on projects across the technical art spectrum.
For this role we are encouraging remote applications. Given the nature of the work a local time zone to the UK would be a benefit but not essential. For those wanting to work in a physical office, we can currently offer in-studio work in one of our UK studios.
- Demonstrable understanding of Python /C#/C++/Scripting Languages or similar systems required,
- demonstrable understanding of modern 3D engines and game engines (e.g. Unreal, Unity) and the technology behind them,
- troubleshooting skills – Technical and project focused (e.g. people, process, tools, workflow etc),
- proven understanding of methods for optimising pipelines, processes and assets for game engines,
- technical proficiency and enthusiasm for understanding both external and proprietary tools + technology,
- an understanding of industry standard 3D software packages (Maya, 3D Studio Max, Motion Builder, zBrush etc.),
- experience and understanding of art/animation pipelines on modern game consoles.
- excellent communication, interpersonal, and organizational skills,
- diligence with tasks, schedule and adherence to budget limitations,
- positive attitude and a desire to bring new ideas to the team,
- an applied understanding of game development process, ideally from a background of working on the creation of games.
- Proven experience creating high-quality technical solutions to art for games/animation/FX production at AAA level,
- VFX experience,
- UI and/or UX experience,
- familiarity with adobe suite, substance painter and designer,
- up to date knowledge of current programming techniques and development processes,
- familiarity with shaders, materials, lighting and post processing,
- project management experience,
- client facing experience, specifically for taking briefs and presenting work,
- awareness and interest of current titles and industry trends.
We look for the following in people who want to join our team
- Quality at all stages of the process – Creation of 3D models that are cleanly modelled, organised workflow& files, well presented and defined from initial blockout through to final model & maps.
- Design thinking – Solving creative problems when adapting 2D concept, balancing form and function, always being aware of the whole pipeline and the requirements
- Technical skill – Max/Maya/Blender, Zbrush, Substance, Marmoset, Photoshop and an understanding of the usual development software & tools. An understanding and interest in real world mechanics would also be a benefit.
- Art fundamentals – A strong grasp of proportion, silhouette & anatomy.
- Variety and iteration – The ability to provide multiple creative options, then iterate upon them as projects progress.
- Adaptability – Switching quickly and fluidly to new requirements and processes when required.
- Working to a brief – Understanding creative briefs, then considering elements such as context, timescales and creative constraints when solving tasks.
- Time management – Creation of high-quality work within allocated timescales.
- Collaboration – Receptive to taking feedback and working together with team-mates and clients.
Atomhawk produces the very best in cutting-edge creative conceptualisation, visualisation, and realisation. Our client list includes major names - Warner Bros, Sony, Microsoft, SEGA, Activision, 2K, EPIC, The Pokémon Company and Blizzard all feature. And we like variety. Every project is different from the last. The spectrum covers gritty, hard-hitting Mortal Kombat, irreverent and stylised Surgeon Simulator 2, comic book superheroes, nostalgic childhood favourites and all things in between. Whichever franchise is on today’s agenda - DC, Halo, Marvel, Mortal Kombat and Warhammer - we move through their worlds with ease and creative curiosity.
The work our team produces is world-class. We’ve celebrated that fact in three artbooks. Each one features concept art, tutorials and professional tips. Volume 3 was created to mark the studio’s 10th anniversary, and was displayed and sold at the Great North Museum: Hancock in Newcastle, where we held the exhibition Other Worlds: The Art of Atomhawk in 2020. You can take a virtual tour of the exhibition here.
Our output hasn’t gone unnoticed. We received Best Companies’ 3 Star Accreditation 2021 and Top Companies North East 2021. We hold the Queen’s Award for Enterprise for International Trade, as well as the TIGA Star Award 2021. We were also named Best Art/Animation/Trailer Supplier at the 2021 Develop Star Awards.
Creativity thrives through diversity, not conformity. Every Atomhawk applicant and employee is afforded space and freedom to be their true self, with no fear of prejudice or persecution. During the application process, you won’t be judged on your name, your gender, your sexuality, your ethnicity, your age, your religion, or any other factor unrelated to your ability to do the job.
As well as having the chance to work on some incredible projects, Atomhawk offers a unique environment for those wanting to be surrounded by like-minded creative people. We have one of the largest in-house teams of specialist digital artists in the world, providing a collaborative community that works, develops and socialises together.
Atomhawk provides structured career development and training pathways for staff at all levels. We offer flexible working hours and a strict ‘No-Crunch’ culture, meaning overtime is not required within the art team.
Atomhawk is part of Sumo Group Ltd, one of the UK’s leading videogame developers.
Apply for this job
Location: Atomhawk Advance, Leamington
Country: United Kingdom
Date found: 2023-03-17