Based in Guildford, DPS Games is looking for a Lead Meta Designer to assist in the creation of worlds in the next big free-to-play PC title from Wargaming, the company that brought us World of Tanks and one of the strongest free-to-play PC game companies in the world. In this role, you will help to inspire and create gameplay for a new & exciting project aimed at a western audience.
As Lead Meta Designer, you will be responsible for the economy, progression, and player experience outside the core combat. You will work with the Design Director and other stakeholders to make sure the game perpetually excites and retains players. You will direct and review the designs of the meta team to ensure quality and alignment. You will help define and implement best practices. You will be responsible for organising, mentoring and developing the meta design team.
In this position you will be working within a multidisciplinary team of developers in a global community and will have the ability to both share your hard-earned knowledge and continue to develop your skill set by learning from your teammates.
We are looking for someone with a positive attitude who can integrate themselves seamlessly into our team & studio culture, has a strong set of design principles, and the ability to direct multiple areas of the game toward the same vision.
You will report to the Design Director.
What will you do?
- Lead the meta design of a free-to-play live game built in UE4
- Contribute to and implement the vision of the game
- Mentor and lead the meta design team
- Establish and maintain good working practices
- Support recruitment where necessary
- Document design decisions clearly and communicate to key stakeholders and external studios
- Collaborate with the Creative Director, Design Director, and other Leads to contribute innovative ideas, hit deadlines and solve problems
- Evaluate metrics, user testing, and other sources of feedback, to identify issues and create a plan to solve them
What are we looking for?
- Proven experience across multiple products including experience as a lead
- Live game and/or free-to-play experience
- An excellent understanding of player progression and economies
- An excellent understanding of events and live service game development
- Excellent documentation and communication skills
- A broad understanding about what retains and motivates players
- Excellent knowledge of game design and game development concepts
- Ability to work within restrictions to solve problems as they occur
- Actively contribute to growth of the studio. Lead by example, including demonstrating a willingness to give and receive feedback, collaborate with others to share techniques, ideas, and contribute to a positive working environment
- Willingness to take initiative and responsibility to increase the quality of the game and health of the team
What additional skills will help you stand out?
- Experience working on multiplayer free-to-play live games
- Experience working with hero or character progression systems
- Have experience working with multiple studios across different time zones
Wargaming is an award-winning online game developer and publisher headquartered in Nicosia, Cyprus. Operating since 1998, Wargaming has become one of the leaders in the gaming industry with 15 offices worldwide, including studios in Chicago, Prague, Shanghai, Tokyo, and Vilnius. Our diverse and multicultural team works together to deliver a top-class experience to millions of players who enjoy Wargaming's titles across all major gaming platforms. Our flagship products include free-to-play hits World of Tanks, World of Warships and World of Tanks Blitz.
Country: United Kingdom