Who are Timbre Games?
Timbre Games are a Vancouver based early-stage game development studio with over 100 years of founding leadership. We believe culture drives creative, where we draw on community and diversity to build truly unique experiences.
Our mission is to build a world class network of Game Studios; to provide accessible awesomeness to our players, to our team, to the world.
Everyone has a story. Come write yours!
Who you are:
As a human, you’re a visionary explorer, a pursuer of fun, and focused on building community. You see an opportunity within games to do more and to have more than “just a job”. You’ve had unique experiences both at work and personally that have expanded your curiosities to seek the root of a problem, to seek out issues, and work with people to explore solutions! Your experiences have made you who you are, and that has led to you understanding the importance of diversity in both thinking and in people. Oh, and games… You may like those, too!
Who you are at work:
You lead with humility in all that you do. You are a partner to your key stakeholders: art, animation, design and production. You take high level ideas from the teams and pitch back ideas that truly shape the experience for your players. You are an experienced Level Designer who cares deeply about games as an art form, and approaches design from a player’s mindset; your fulfilment is to hook players emotionally from the moment they pick up the game. At Timbre our focus is on making core experiences accessible, and on making players feel awesome as they experience our games. We want you to align with those values and add your flavour to our design and studio culture.
At Timbre, we take mentoring seriously, and as one of the core early production team, we want you to as well. We are here to make amazing games and grow the next generation of game industry people – two goals that are at the heart of who we are.
Your Impact as Lead World Designer at Timbre Games:
- Establish level and world design best practices and framework in UE5 alongside our cross-discipline team
- Be the point person for level and World design with other cross-discipline team members to make sure levels are created to contribute to enhancing the gameplay, the game narrative and are aligned with the art vision and technicality.
- Participate in building exemplary content to help the project grow and provide examples for level designers to learn from.
- Identify iterative improvements and changes to design processes and pipelines.
- Advocate for player experience with a diverse and inclusive mindset geared towards accessibility.
- Guide the team in crafting unique worlds where gameplay flow and visual composition form memorable experiences.
- Manage the level designers in the priority of their tasks and their deliverables; providing critical feedback on their performance to help them succeed in their craft and career growth.
- Partner with the recruitment team to identify key hires, taking an active role in building the core team.
- Collaborate on creation and constant improvement of pipelines and processes.
- Communicate your passion to our diverse team, ensuring we iterate effectively on our designs to deliver a fun, accessible end product for our player
- Manage cross-discipline communication and collaboration as it pertains to levels: work closely with engineers, artists, sound designers, and production in managing the prioritization, implementation, and scope of the game’s environments.
Your Track Record Might Include:
- Experience with hand-crafted level and world design
- Experience managing and leading a group of designers.
- Proven success in creating varied, memorable levels.
- Experience with game editors and/or 3D packages. Unreal Editor is a plus
- Excellent understanding of level design fundamentals and the role of level design in the overall player experience.
- Some general knowledge or interest in art or architecture or civil engineering is a plus.
- Ability to create map layouts at all stages – from simple sketches to fully functional levels in an existing game engine.
- Strong analytical and creative thinking abilities.
- Outstanding verbal and written interpersonal communication skills.
- Experience with scripting systems, either visual (such as Blueprint) or text-based (such as Python, Lua, or C#)
- Experience with Blueprint in UE
About Timbre Games:
Timbre Games are headed up by industry veterans in beautiful Vancouver, BC. Our experience stretches through mobile to AAA (think Gears of War, the Sims, SSX, FIFA, Age of Empires, among others!). We’re excited to build a ‘playoff ready’ studio that is centered on creativity, humour and diversity. We can’t wait to share our first project that we’re secretly working away on, and we welcome your application with open arms as we grow a world-class studio here in Canada!
BENEFITS AND PERKS:
· Competitive salary & benefits
· Annual bonus & RRSP matching
· 20 days paid vacation, plus Christmas week off
· Remote / Work from home / Flexible hours
· Open door policy with direct access to leadership
· Industry veterans with a wealth of knowledge to share
Timbre Game’s Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Timbre recognizes the importance of creating an environment where all our employees feel included and empowered. We believe that culture drives creative, we value each employee’s unique experiences and perspectives across our company and recognize that it is both the smart and right thing to foster diversity, equity, and inclusion within our organization.
By diversifying our workforce, increasing equality, and ensuring that our individual differences are valued, we are better able to deliver an experience that reflects, inspires, and connects with our audience... because games are for everyone!
We Welcome ALL to Apply!
At Timbre Games, we believe that 'Culture drives Creative' and we celebrate all backgrounds and attributes that make us unique and amazing - in this world and the ones we create! If you are excited about what we’re building at Timbre Games, we want to hear from you, even if you don’t think you check all the boxes!
Get in touch to explore the possibilities! firstname.lastname@example.org
Please upload a link to your portfolio/github for us to review if applicable!
Apply for this job
Location: Timbre Games, Vancouver
Date found: 2022-11-06
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed