WHO WE ARE
We’re a highly collaborative team of developers who are passionate about crafting beautiful and memorable player-focused experiences. We are innovators and problem solvers, interested in sharing our diverse perspectives, exploring new possibilities, having fun solving hard challenges, and working together to build the future we want to see.
WHAT YOU’LL DO
We are seeking a passionate Lead Environment/Worldbuilding Artist with demonstrated experience in the full AAA production pipeline, from rapid prototyping of greybox environments and assets to polished, optimized finals.
You will play a critical role in defining the look and feel of the game world by building a range of environments that establish visual and technical targets. As a Lead, you will coach and support the Environment team by reviewing work and providing both technical and aesthetic feedback. Your positive adaptable mindset, strong soft skills, and proactive attitude will further strengthen a supportive, healthy team culture where artists are inspired to do their best work.
As Lead Environment/Worldbuilding Artist, you will…
- Create AAA environment assets across a range of categories, working closely with the Art Director, Art and Level Design team to establish visual targets for new areas and asset types.
- Collaborate closely with Level Design to drive worldbuilding efforts that elevate gameplay and demonstrate strong level flow, navigation design, and environmental storytelling.
- Work with Tech Art, Level Design, and Engineering throughout development to investigate and incorporate procedural tools, workflows, and techniques.
- Proactively communicate with leadership and peers to support strong cross-functional collaboration and team awareness of development progress.
- Mentor the Environment team by sharing knowledge, coaching on process and technique, and providing regular constructive feedback.
- Maintain the Environment team’s scope of work by prioritizing and delegating tasks, planning estimates, and updating as-needed to ensure individuals’ workloads are manageable and the team’s deliverables can be completed at a healthy cadence.
- Work with key internal stakeholders to develop and document scalable next-gen environment asset pipelines for internal staff and external outsourcing partners alike.
- Advance the holistic vision of the game by regularly participating in team playtests and contributing your ideas and feedback to group discussions.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED TO BE SUCCESSFUL
- Professional game industry experience as a Senior Environment Artist or Worldbuilder.
- Professional experience leading or managing a team.
- A portfolio of work demonstrating technical and artistic skills across a range of AAA environments.
- Expert knowledge of key development principles like form design, detail hierarchy, spatial composition, level flow and navigation.
- Deep knowledge of modern content creation pipelines and techniques, including PBR texturing workflows and procedural content generation.
- Familiarity with building modular assets and modular workflows.
- Expertise with industry-standard software like Maya or 3dsMax, ZBrush, Substance Painter and Substance Designer
- Experience working in Unreal Engine 4+.
- Highly technical and self-motivated to learn new skills, explore new technologies and seek out efficient, innovative solutions.
- Proactive communication and the ability to work independently without requiring heavy oversight.
- A passion for mentoring others to further develop their artistic and technical skillsets.
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, and the ability to write clear documentation.
- Strong organizational and time management skills.
NICE TO HAVE
- Experience with environment lighting a huge plus.
- Ability to design and craft environments without concept art.
- Ability to work in multiple art styles.
- Familiarity working with traditional media.
We are open to remote work in AZ, CA, CO, FL, GA, ID, IL, MA, MD, NC, NV, NY OR, TX, UT and WA or onsite/hybrid/flex at our office in Bellevue, WA.
Colorado Only: The pay range for this position in Colorado is $100,000 - $155,000 per year, plus annual bonus potential. Please note that the salary shown is a general guideline only. We take into consideration the geography in which you live and your experience and qualifications when determining final salary. This role is also eligible for medical, dental, vision and life insurance, short and long term disability, 401(k), flexible and dependent care spending accounts, PTO, paid holidays and parental leave.
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed