With a rich history of developing multiple AAA franchises such as Little Big Planet and Crackdown, as well as contributing to genre-defining titles like the Forza Motorsport and Hitman series, Sumo Sheffield’s vast development experience spans multiple genres and platforms.
As winners of the TIGA Star Employment Award for 2021, recipients of the GI Biz 2020 Best Places to Work Award and listed as one of the UK’s 100 Best Large Companies to Work for in 2021, Sumo Digital has enjoyed 18 years of stability and growth since its formation in 2003 and continues to strive for excellence across every single project.
The team have a track record of working on some of the world's biggest and best games and received two BAFTAs for their work on Sackboy: A Big Adventure. As the scale and exclusivity of projects continues to grow, there’s never been a more exciting time to join the Sumo Sheffield family!
The role @ Sumo Sheffield
Sumo Sheffield has an exciting opportunity for an experienced Lead Environment Artist to join our busy Environment team. We are looking for an experienced Lead Artist with demonstrated experience in driving quality standards on AAA console titles.
This is an incredible opportunity to shape some of the most exciting and groundbreaking AAA video games currently being made in the UK, working with a friendly and talented team to make the games of the future.
This position is open to remote, hybrid and in-studio working (within the UK).
Within this role you will:
- Be responsible for creating high-quality environment art.
- Lead the Environment Art team, maintaining quality and development for Sheffield's artists.
- Develop art guides (art documentation, style guides, process documents and feedback loops).
- Ensure that the artistic style of the game is consistently implemented and performant.
- Have a keen eye for environmental storytelling and a strong ability to communicate ideas and collaborate with a design team.
- Have flexibility in terms of creating artwork in differing styles and genre of game.
- Should be able to work well with others.
- Proactively seek feedback from Creative Directors.
- With production, break down tasks and schedule your own work and that of the junior environment art team.
- Mentorship - give constructive feedback and clear direction to junior environment artists.
- Document processes and knowledge share.
We need you to have:
- Proven track record in at least 3 shipped titles (preferably AAA).
- Excellent 3D art skills.
- Experience mentoring and providing feedback for more Junior Artists.
- Excellent compositional, world-building skills and all-around artistic expertise and flare.
- Expertise in 3ds Max or Maya (or both).
- Knowledge or use of Zbrush.
- Expertise in Photoshop & other technologies utilised in the production of game art.
- Knowledge of Substance Painter/Designer.
- Expertise or knowledge of implementing artwork into Unreal Engine 4 or Unity.
- Familiarity with developing games in a multi-platform, multi-project environment.
- The ability and eagerness to learn and adopt new software, tools and technologies.
- Able to work with a high level of motivation & self-direction.
- Strong communication and organisational skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Excellent time management skills.
- Ability to follow process and pipelines, evangelise best practices.
What we offer:
. Defined Annual Bonus Scheme
. ULEV car scheme
. Monthly allowance to spend on enhancing benefits
. Salary Sacrifice Pension
. Flexible Working
. 21 days free-use holiday
+ your birthday off
+ 5 learning days including 1 volunteer day
+ a duvet day
+ Christmas shutdown from Christmas Eve to New Year
+ Bank Holidays
+ extra allowance accrued for longer service
. Free dental insurance
. Life Assurance 4x Salary
. Income Protection of 75% for 5 years
. Enhanced Mat/Paternity & Adoption pay
. Employee Assistance Programme:
. Help at Hand - Remote GP, Mental Health & Physio appointments
. Free financial & home buying support consultations
. Cycle to Work Scheme
. Payroll Giving Scheme
. Access to 4,000 Udemy Courses
. Career Development Pathway
. Wrap Parties.
. Project Completion Awards
. Game/Creative Jams
. Big Family Events
. Studio social activities, e.g. running, board games, film, yoga, life drawing…
. Prism – Sumo’s employee diversity focus group
. Free fruit and drinks in our studios
. Employee Referral Bonus
Where do we stand on diversity?
At Sumo, we want to enable everyone to bring their full, authentic selves to work every single day. We acknowledge that the games industry is far from perfect and a global organisation with people all over the world, from all kinds of backgrounds, we know it’s part of our duty to provide everyone at Sumo with a safe, accepting and affirming working environment.
We encourage and welcome applicants from all backgrounds.
More about Sumo Sheffield
Sumo Sheffield is located just outside the city centre in Sumo Digital’s HQ, just off J34 on the M1 and a stone’s throw from the city’s primary shopping and leisure complex. With a multi-building campus comprised of industry-leading facilities, an onsite gym and subsidised canteen, Sumo Sheffield provides everything needed for all teams to create the world’s best games.
Sheffield is the fifth largest city in the UK and is easily accessible by road and rail from Leeds, Manchester and the Midlands. The city enjoys a wealth of facilities to suit a wide array of interests, including:
o World-class sports facilities
o Iconic theatres and galleries
o Multiple retail and shopping experiences
o Diverse and renowned restaurants and eateries
o The award-winning National Video Game Museum
More about Sumo Digital
Sumo Digital is an award-winning international family of studios. Recent releases from Sumo Digital studios include: BAFTA-Award winning Sackboy: A Big Adventure, Hood: Outlaws & Legends, Control Ultimate Edition on Google Stadia, Apple Arcade Award-winning Little Orpheus, Hot Shot Racing, WST Snooker and Spyder.
Apply for this job
Date found: 2022-11-06
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed