Archetype Entertainment is a new game studio in Austin, Texas led by industry veterans from BioWare and other AAA studios. Archetype is a division of Wizards of the Coast (Hasbro). We are building a development team with world-class talent to create a new science fiction universe for our first multiplatform roleplaying video game.
Our goal is to create the greatest story-driven roleplaying games in the world.
At Archetype, we believe there will always be a place for story-driven roleplaying games that put the player at the center of an epic personal narrative with impactful choices. We are building games that represent the diversity of our audience. We also believe that game studios should empower top developers and challenge them with ambitious projects that are shaped by a strong, clearly communicated creative vision.
We chose Austin because it is a great place to live and work. Austin is the capital of Texas and is a fast-growing city with a vibrant music scene, cosmopolitan culture, a world-class university (the University of Texas at Austin -- “Hook ‘em Horns!”), and scenic rolling hills. It was recently voted the #1 place to live in America for the third year in a row — based on affordability, job prospects, and quality of life.
We’re looking for an exceptionally skilled Lead Environment Artist with a strong technical background to join an unannounced project. Candidates should have extensive experience with textures, lighting, and geometry in game engines to build beautiful, photorealistic environments. You will be expected to create benchmark scenes to build a benchmark for the look and feel of the world. This role requires a strong sense of design as well as the ability to implement the highest-quality art. An ideal candidate would also have experience managing internal or external artists.
What You'll Do
- Create benchmark environment scenes in engine to set the quality bar for our project.
- Assess, critique, and improve the game’s environmental textures, lighting and sharders.
- Work with engineering to plan and implement our environment art pipeline.
- Work closely with creative director and leads to drive and evangelize our artistic vision.
- Plan production of all environment art in collaboration with the concept and design teams.
- Manage and mentor a team of internal and outsource environment artists.
What You'll Bring
- Self-motivation, strong interpersonal skills, and a great team-player attitude.
- 8+ yrs experience in AAA digital game development as an Environment Artist specializing in top-quality terrain, architecture, shaders, and lighting.
- Experience leading other artists in Environment creation (internal or outsource).
- Creative vision to take an environment to completion from either a detailed or simple concept image.
- Intimate understanding of next generation asset creation pipelines and tools.
- Experience working with senior creative leadership to define the look of a game.
- Superior eye for light, shade, color, and detail in building environmental scenes and textures.
- Able to contribute to, interpret, and clearly communicate art direction to a team.
- Able to effectively collaborate with game designers and programmers.
- A passion for story-driven roleplaying games and science fiction.
- Able to work creatively as part of a large or small group.
- Proven problem-solving and prototyping ability.
We are an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action Employer
The above is intended to describe the general content of and the requirements for satisfactory performance in this position. It is not to be construed as an exhaustive statement of the duties, responsibilities, or requirements of the position.
We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment.
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed