We're looking for a Lead Console Engineer to join our team at Hypixel Studios, which collaborates remotely from around the world. Our members range from industry newcomers to experts with 25+ years of experience. Team members come from a diverse set of backgrounds, but share a common passion for building polished player-focused, community-powered games.
Join us on our mission to bring players together in an inviting, immersive world where they can make their mark. Hytale empowers creative expression across a spectrum of experiences including sandbox adventure, social play, minigames, and creativity using a suite of powerful and accessible tools.
As a Lead Console Engineer team, you will help turn our game that runs on Consoles to a game that ships on Consoles. You will be on the ground floor for building out our Consoles-focused team and strategy, including engineering practices, UI/UX concerns, testing capabilities, and release planning.
Who you are:
- Immersed in Console Games: You have a deep understanding of what it takes to make a game great on Playstation and/or XBox, based not only on your engineering skills but also your history of playing Console games
- Adaptable: You are comfortable with switching gears between optimization, break/fix, and development and understand the need for rapid re-prioritization.
- Calm under pressure: You exude calm in even the toughest of situations. When things get spicy, you work as a cooler to help the team reach a solution.
- A Force Multiplier: You understand how to design a system that can operate effectively for a whole team. You understand how to empower engineers on your team to learn, grow, and scale.
- Performance Aware: You know and care how your code affects performance, frame rate, and memory usage
Some of your role:
- Program hands-on in the engine to continue to improve our game’s Console compatibility, performance, and experience
- Develop studio-wide standards and practices to ensure our game developers (engineers, artists, sound designers, animators, etc) hit our Console quality bar
- Collaborate with the Tech Director and the EP to develop the long-term roadmap and staffing strategy for our Console development team, then lead that team
- Collaborate with our CI/CD team to develop tools and automated testing to reinforce our Console quality standards
- 8+ years of professional programming experience, including 4+ years working in a game engine (commercial or proprietary)
- 4+ years experience developing for 8th and 9th gen Console platforms (PS4/5 and/or Xbox One/X/S)
- 2+ years in a technical leadership role such as a manager, tech lead, team lead, etc
- Strong understanding of Console-specific engineering concerns such as release cycles, UI and control schemes, API integration, technical requirements checklists, and Console-specific performance concerns
- Experience with Console-specific graphics and rendering issues
- Strong familiarity with the block-game genre and/or voxel engines
- Experience with User Generated Content (UGC)
- Experience shipping live Games-as-a-Service (GaaS)
We can offer:
- Competitive salary
- Annual Performance Bonus (APB)
- Quality of Life increases
- Christmas closure
- A chance to work on a new game project with an extremely motivated team
- Opportunities to learn and grow personally and professionally
- A stable and secure work environment
- The ability to work remotely
We’re looking for applicants who are self-driven, put players first, and that have a history of making cool stuff. In return, we can offer an environment that values and supports individual creativity and passion and believes in fostering new talent. We recognize the value of diversity in every sense and actively encourage candidates from diverse backgrounds to apply.
Location: Remote/ In-Office