The Games Technology team encompasses a whole host of data and analytics expertise areas, including (but not limited to) machine learning, build and submission tools, and cloud infrastructure. Powered by Beacon, Rovio's in-house cloud services platform, the team supports tens of millions of players, capturing 4 billion events and over 1TB of data per day. All of this work results in services and tools that enable successful live operations and continuous optimization in Rovio’s games.
We’re looking for an experienced data engineer or software engineer to build and lead a small team of data engineers, as part of our Data & ML Engineering team.
Most of your time will be devoted to hands-on technical engineering. In this role at Rovio you get to combine software engineering with the fast-moving data landscape in the exciting mobile gaming domain. You build data pipelines, products, and services to help grow the games developed by Rovio. This involves various objectives from productized datasets to ML models, in order to support decision making and to enhance the player experience. You collaborate with other teams in development projects. Along with your colleagues in the Data & ML Engineering team you also maintain the analytics platform at Rovio and help other teams with their daily data needs. As one Rovio, we are in constant lookout for new business opportunities to pursue.
We expect you to help us stay on top of state-of-the-art data technologies and industry practices, as we take smart risks in adopting new tech and approaches. At the moment we are heavy users of Spark and write most of our new code in Python. We also have microservices and streaming analytics with Flink that are both written in Java (+ some Scala). SQL is ubiquitous as well, as we query our Data Lake with engines like Athena and Presto. We use a number of AWS services like EMR and SageMaker. We also like Druid, and you can find us contributing to the open source community.
Team manager role
As a team manager you recruit your own team members and help them grow. Your sub-team will be part of the Data & ML Engineering team, so you are not going to be alone! You will support the game teams and various business functions by translating their needs to scalable data products, and helping your team members in their tasks to reach the company goals.
Areas of contributions
Our team contributes in various areas in the company:
Data related work in projects where new features are developed in our cloud gaming platform, Beacon
Daily operations and maintenance for the data platform, products and services that the team owns
Data platform development projects, driven by the team itself to keep our data stack up-to-date
ML related projects and constant co-operation with ML engineers supporting the modelling efforts
Data engineers embedded in game teams to help with custom data products and analysis
- Develop and maintain our analytics solutions by participating in development projects with cross organisational teams and daily operational work
- Working with and guiding the team members in data engineering work in projects and daily maintenance to keep the data flowing
- Providing leadership and support to a team of data engineers, helping them grow in their roles and help them advance in their career development
- Support others as a domain expert for big data processing and Rovio data
- Evaluate and deploy new data technologies and industry practices
- Hot topics currently: scalability, reliability & time-to-data, compliance & privacy, self-service analytics, personalisation and optimization
Who we think will do great in this role has:
- A degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Mathematics, or a related field
- Excellent programming skills, preferably in Python or Java
- Expert knowledge in data engineering and/or software engineering
- Proven record of developing & running production-grade systems
- Proactive personality, ability and willingness to guide a team of experts with different specialisation areas
- Experience in mentoring other engineers as an individual contributor if not acted as a manager
- Good communication skills
- Solid knowledge of SQL and databases or data warehousing
- Experience with open source big data technologies (especially Spark, Presto, Flink) and large data sets
- Prior work experience in gaming industry
- Experience on AWS, especially EMR, Athena & S3
You don’t need to have prior knowledge in specific technologies or working with big data although it helps if you do. Developer mentality and ability to learn quickly is what counts most.
It helps you get up to speed if you have:
- Initial call: A quick chat for you to hear a bit more about the role, and for us to get an initial picture of who you are.
- First meeting: You will meet the hiring manager. The aim is for us to know who you are, what your experience has been and what motivates you. This is also an opportunity for you to learn about Rovio, the wider team and the specifics of the role.
- Second round: You will be invited to meet your peer team managers, and a few data engineers. Our aim is to get a clear overview of your skills, how you would fit with our working culture, your ambitions and where we can help you develop.
- Third round: You will meet some of the stakeholders like CTO and Head of BI.
- Fourth round: You will meet our HR specialist. The goal is to explain the people processes here and discuss your views on people leadership.
We welcome applicants to use the name they want to be addressed by in the application form, regardless of whether it is their legal name.
What to expect when you join us
Meet the Rovians
Apply for this job
Location: Helsinki Metropolitan Area
Date found: 2022-11-05
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed