Timbre Games, a new studio in Vancouver, Canada, is seeking a Lead Character Artist to guide creative and passionate artists through production on their first stylized Action RPG game. The Lead Character Artist will work alongside the Art Director to shape the priorities for the Character team, develop pipelines, and steer decision-making for the character process. They will create a coaching culture for the Character team, partner with Production on staffing plans and Recruitment on inclusive hiring initiatives, and onboarding. The Lead Character Artist will also scope, prioritize, and delegate tasks throughout the project’s life cycle using their agile process, ensuring the team remains empowered to execute with confidence. The ideal candidate should have experience managing other game artists, an expert knowledge of Maya and 3d modeling workflows, and experience as a Senior/Lead through pre-production and production on 1 AAA 3D title. Timbre Games offers a competitive salary, comprehensive health benefits, flexible paid time off, and a values-driven culture with direct access to leadership and industry veterans with a wealth of knowledge to share. Timbre Games is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, marital status, military or veteran’s status, sexual orientation, or any other category protected by law.
Welcome to Timbre!
We are Timbre Games (part of the Sumo Digital Group), a new studio in Vancouver, Canada focused on making exciting, innovative game experiences. Timbre’s vision is to change the games industry through the original games we make, as well as how we make them. We’re building an inclusive, supportive culture that allows us to explore fresh, new (and sometimes weird) ideas. We’re searching for more visionary explorers to join our team of diverse voices, coming together to develop games that are accessible to a wide audience.
If you’re thinking about your next adventure, send us your resume to talk to our team about how you can add your voice to the games we’re working on.
Art at Timbre Games
We are visionaries, sculptors, painters and landscapers of virtual worlds. Together, we breathe life into creative concepts and ideas while defining experiences and quality. We collaborate with multiple departments to establish our vision, and absolutely light up as we watch it all come together. We are utilizing advanced tools and technologies to shape our vision of building diverse and accessible AAA games.
At Timbre, we take mentorship seriously, and as a lead, we want you to as well. We are here to make amazing games and grow the next generation of game developers – two goals that are at the heart of who we are.
The Lead Character Artist impacts our team by guiding creative and passionate artists through production on our first stylized Action RPG game. Our Lead Character Artist will create clarity through each milestone in partnership with the Art Director, creating beautiful, engaging characters to delight our players.
As a Lead Character Artist at Timbre, you will:
- Work alongside the Art Director to shape the priorities for the Character team, understanding the project’s vision and translating that into fun, high-quality character models
- Develop pipelines and steer decision-making for our character process in partnership with the Animation, Character Art and Tech Art teams to raise the quality bar for our in-game characters
- Create a coaching culture for the Character team by guiding them through creative and technical issues, helping them to achieve their career goals and growth
- Partner with Production on staffing plans and Recruitment on inclusive hiring initiatives, and onboarding
- Scope, prioritize & delegate tasks throughout the project’s life cycle using our agile process, ensuring the team remains empowered to execute with confidence
- Meet regularly with external partners to collaborate and present visual designs and overall product goals
- Be hands-on and involved in all aspects of creating appealing 3D characters with an emphasis on 3d modelling in Maya
What you bring:
- Experience managing other game artists, overseeing the growth and development of your team
- An expert knowledge of Maya and 3d modeling workflows
- Experience as a Senior/Lead through pre-production and production on 1 AAA 3D title. Past experience working with existing IP is a bonus!
- A portfolio showcasing a diverse range of 3D characters
- Proficiency in video game development engines, tools, and pipelines
- A collaborative approach to communication: you are experienced in delivering clear, concise messages that are easily understood by all disciplines, as well as any external partners
What you might bring:
- Experience with Avatar Customization and skins is a plus
- Knowledge of body proportions and anatomy
- Experience in Materials & Shaders for Characters
What you'll gain:
Timbre aims to foster a workplace environment that empowers our team to do their best creative work. Below are a list of some of the benefits we offer to ensure you reach your full potential. As we continue to grow, we are co-creating more values-driven benefits to support our team.
• Competitive salary & comprehensive health benefits, including extended health, dental, vision, life and AD&D insurance, short / long-term disability, 24/7 counselling through an employee assistance program and a health spending account available to you from your first day
• Annual bonus & up to 5% RRSP matching available to you from your first day
• Flexible paid time off (unlimited), plus holiday closure between Christmas and New Years, as well as National Day for Truth and Reconciliation
• Work with us in Vancouver or remotely across Canada, utilizing our $500 work from home allowance
• 1 year gaming subscription and weekly gaming days
• My Pathway - a Career Development Program to provide a clear path for you to grow at Timbre
• 8 learning days per year and unlimited access to Udemy online courses
• A values driven culture with direct access to leadership and industry veterans with a wealth of knowledge to share
Timbre’s Commitment to Diversity and Inclusion
Timbre Games is located in beautiful Vancouver, BC, Canada and on the traditional, ancestral, and unceded territories of the xʷməθkʷəy̓əm (Musqueam), Sḵwx̱wú7mesh (Squamish), and Sel̓íl̓witulh (Tsleil-Waututh) Nations. Although our roots are in Vancouver, we work with a remote, distributed team across Canada. If you are interested in an opportunity at Timbre Games but are not presently residing in Canada, please note that we may be able to offer assistance in immigrating / relocating under the right conditions.
Timbre Games is an equal opportunity employer and considers all candidates for employment regardless of race, color, religion, sex, national origin, citizenship, age, disability, marital status, military or veteran’s status (including protected veterans, as may be required by federal law), sexual orientation or any other category protected by law. We celebrate all backgrounds and attributes that make us unique and amazing - in this world and the ones we create!
At Timbre, we try to be mindful and not set unrealistic requirement expectations in order to apply. If you don’t tick all of the boxes of the role that you’re excited about, we encourage you to send your resume to our General Application inbox on our careers page, or, follow Timbre on LinkedIn to stay in touch with our newest openings.
Accommodations will be provided as requested by candidates taking part in all aspects of the selection process.
If what we’ve shared above resonates with you, connect with us today!
Apply for this job
Location: Timbre Games, Vancouver
Date found: 2023-04-29