Smilegate Barcelona is seeking an experienced Senior / Lead AI Programmer to lead a team of highly skilled AI programmers to perform in the most effective way, fostering a culture that balances productivity, innovation learning, and healthy communication.
We are looking for someone with:
- The ability to operate at high and low levels - capable of hands-on work as well as leader and mentor to your team.
- A strong understanding of how to transform design requests into NPC Behaviour.
- Enough design knowledge to interface to design leads in complement and amplify their specs to become a fully workable system.
- A deep desire to build up a world-class AI team.
What the role involves:
Working hand in hand with Lead Gameplay Programmer and Design Leads to build a structure that supports rapid prototyping while keeping code stability in the long term.
- Coordinate with QA and Gameplay Lead to define the best coding environment that balances rapid iteration with stability.
- Be the representative and champion for the AI coding team to all other parties.
- Coordinate AI coders establishing code guidelines, quality goals and performance budgets.
- Work hand in hand with the Combat, World and mission design teams to make sure they have the most efficient tools.
- Analyze, validate and incorporate feedback from the team and external user testing.
- Help build up a world-class AI Programming team by being involved in the interviewing and hiring process.
- Be the mentor, guide and leader of your team of handpicked coders.
- Provide meaningful feedback to your team through team meetings, 1 on 1 session, and 360 feedback.
- Be on top of the personal development goals of your coders, making sure there is always a healthy environment that fosters learning.
- Excellent track record - credited on at least 2 shipped AAA games either as Senior / Lead AI programmer.
- Experience and deep working knowledge of gameplay and AI systems.
- Unreal Engine working experience in a modern console environment.
- Innovative thinker with creative problem-solving skills.
- Ability to work in a highly collaborative, interdisciplinary, iterative environment.
- Strong understanding of development processes, workflows, and tools.
- Ability to lead and delegate as required.
YOUR LIFE AT SMILEGATE BARCELONA (and PERKS)
- Breakfast in the Office.
- Restaurant Tickets: approx 180 € per month (2.160€/year).
- 23 vacation days per year + Christmas to the new year (the office is closed from 24th December to 2nd January).
- Fully stocked studio kitchen (Nescafe coffee, organic fruits, snacks, and beverages).
- 16 weeks Maternity and Paternity leave
- Hybrid work model (3 days in the office, 2 days work from home) and Flexible Friday.
- Private Health insurance, including dental coverage.
- Incredible office in Barcelona in Torre Glories, 15min from the beach and 1 min from Glories Mall.
- Team Building Events.
- Relocation Package with VISA support.
We value diversity and as an equal opportunity employer we encourage applications from all suitable applicants. All applicants will be considered for employment without attention to race, colour, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national origin, veteran or disability status.