Lead / Advanced Gameplay Engineer
A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
Apply your passion for creating unforgettable online games and drive technology development using Unreal Engine 5, enabling an ambitious team to help create a deeply connected experience. Collaborate with peers and the production team to innovate and focus the development of an exciting new gaming experience.
- Lead a programming team at the technical and personnel level.
- Coach and mentor programmers in the team to plan their skill development.
- Determine the technical needs for the team to work on a project.
- Evaluate the fitness of third-party middleware for the project.
- Help in setting up best practices for coding and conduct regular code reviews.
- Set up a process to review the game regularly during the development cycle and identify areas of improvement.
- Encourage the team to create a robust technical document on different development platforms/consoles.
- Setup processes while working in collaboration with other teams (internal or external) to efficiently meet the technical needs of the assigned project.
- Plan and evaluate the work performed by the team and analyse the impact on the project
- Identify risks and opportunities presented during the development of games, providing solutions to resolve potentially complex problems.
- Estimate time to complete programming tasks/objectives and be committed to meeting them.
- Support the Production team and Technical Director in people management.
- Support the Technical Director with team recruitment.
- Team first mentality through the philosophy of servant leadership.
- Experience developing and shipping connected games.
- Experience setting up workflows and communicating them to the development team effectively.
- Excellent communication and presentation skills to ensure you can confidently communicate ideas to technical and non-technical members of the team.
- Previous experience in a Lead role on another game team.
- Previous experience with Unreal Engine 4.
- Prior experience developing on console platforms.
- Understanding the DevOps function within a development team and how to embrace that culture for success.
- Experience or understanding of online gaming.
- Experience or knowledge of Free-to-Play games.
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Apply for this job
Location: Fully Remote
Date posted: 2022-01-20