A leader in creating deep and engaging experiences on PC and mobile, Jagex was founded in 2001 and is today one of the UK’s biggest and most respected video game developers and publishers.
Famed for its flagship MMOs RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, Jagex has welcomed more than 260million player accounts to its world and created a $1bn lifetime franchise revenue. Today the RuneScape franchise exists beyond running games in live operations; our titles are living games that connect and inspire millions of players, with content and experiences both inside and outside of inexhaustible game worlds.
Both RuneScape and Old School RuneScape, on PC and mobile, offer ever-evolving, highly-active worlds and our community-focussed development ethos empowers players to have a real say in how each game is shaped.
Jagex is expanding and extending its portfolio with fresh franchise titles, new IP and, in 2018 launched Jagex Partners, delivering third-party publishing and operational services exclusively for the living games of the future.
Jagex employs more than 400 people at its Cambridge headquarters and is on the hunt for talented people to work across the business to help the company to achieve yet another year of record growth and player satisfaction.
We are looking for an engineer to join the RuneScape and Old School Runescape tools team, working on the maintenance and on-going enhancement of the internal development tools, pipeline and associated systems, as well as helping drive the success of major new projects and providing value to our players/customers.
This is an exciting opportunity for a candidate with ambition and initiative to join a world-renowned online games company, to work on a unique and large-scale project and face some of the most interesting challenges in online gaming.
How you can contribute:
- Help to maintain and improve existing tools & codebases; programming new systems & expanding or improving on existing ones
- Generate & help to maintain relevant documentation
- Aid the test process by writing QA instructions + develop & update code-tests where applicable.
- Develop a close relationship with scripters, designers, artists and other developers, learning their methods and identifying opportunities for tech-driven solutions
- Continually seek new opportunities for improvement both personally and for the products
- Develop deeper understanding of existing technologies in use, for instance Java, C++, C# etc as well as game engine and tools design & development more broadly
What we need:
- Someone enthusiastic and keen to learn game tools & systems both old and new, with drive and dedication to improve the workflow and tooling for game development colleagues across the organisation
- Good core understanding of computer science and programming methodologies
- Familiarity with one or more of: RuneScape, Client/Server game architecture, game development and/or Windows development tools & pipelines
- Familiarity or demonstrable experience working in Java, C# or C++
- Relevant qualification at degree level or equivalent experience
Even better if:
- Some experience working with a large-scale Java application
- Any experience developing windows applications, particularly ones with extensive UI/UX requirements or 3d interactions
- Professional development experience with Java, C++ or a related language
- Some experience using git for source control and/or Atlassian products for project and code management
- Flexible Working
- Bonus Scheme
- Private Health Care
- Gym Membership
- Monthly Energy Allowance
- Generous Pension Contributions
- Life Insurance
- Free Cycle Repair
- Income Protection
- Dental Plan
- Free Fruit and Drinks
- Subsidised Canteen
Feel like you fit this role, but don’t meet all the requirements? We strive for fresh perspectives, so as long as you can demonstrate how your attitude and other abilities might make up for any gaps we would welcome your application!
Jagex are an equal opportunities employer and positively encourages applications from suitably qualified and eligible candidates regardless of sex, race, disability, age, sexual orientation, gender reassignment, marriage or civil partnership, pregnancy or maternity, religion or belief.
Apply for this job
Date found: 2022-11-05
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed