Who is SkyBox Labs?
SkyBox Labs is a game development studio that works on some of the world’s most iconic games. Our projects include working as a co-developer on Halo Infinite, projects in the Minecraft Universe, supporting the development of Magic: The Gathering Arena, supporting development of Fallout 76, and developing unannounced titles including partner projects and internal IP. As one of Vancouver’s fastest-growing game studios, since our inception in 2011, SkyBox Labs has evolved from a group of 8 people developing independent projects to a team of over 200+ engineers, artists, designers, producers, and more.
SkyBox Labs is looking for an experienced and ambitious Software Engineer to join our Minecraft Gameplay Systems team! With a current focus on world generation and optimization, you will help us contribute to the expanding world of Minecraft by working on a variety of gameplay systems shipping to multiple platforms, resulting in rich player experiences and in-depth worlds to explore. The work is mostly in C++, and your gameplay exposure would be a huge asset.
- Drive engine and feature improvements, optimize and refactor code, and identify and solve performance issues
- Design and implement gameplay systems related to world generation, performance and optimization
- Building a data driven world system to empower all creator
- Participate in code reviews and provide constructive feedback on how to develop and improve processes, tools and workflows
- Test software and address bug issues as needed
- Build strong relationships and communicate effectively with both internal team members and our external partners
- Identify and provide updates on technology risks and obstacles to technical directors and project managers
- Learn new technologies and systems to meet our technical and business needs
- Strong proficiency in C++ (Version 14 and up) is required
- Professional software development experience in games or a related industry
- Experience designing, developing and maintaining software systems
- Excellent optimization and debugging skills
- A creative thinker with strong problem-solving skills
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Self-directed and takes initiative in order to drive progress
- Experience shipping one or more game titles
- Experience with Optimization
- A passion for Minecraft or games in general!
And here is why we think you'll love working at SkyBox Labs
Our studio’s success can be attributed to our culture of empowerment, collaboration and personal growth.
At SkyBox Labs, you can contribute to industry-leading titles, from legendary AAA franchises to independent IP, without compromising on culture. As a rapidly growing independent company, we maintain a ‘small studio’ feel with our flat structure, leading with authenticity, and fostering connection.
We relentlessly support your growth and development. From team building through personal interest groups and clubs to studio-wide knowledge sharing through learning lunches, and more formalized programs like SkyBox U, we support our team every step of the way.
One major thing that we’re proud of is that we’ve been able to grow to the studio that we are today while ultimately cultivating an environment of trust and mutual respect where you can thrive. We value our team members’ diverse backgrounds, hobbies, skills, and interests and we celebrate them! This is demonstrated through our broad spectrum of social clubs: Join our soccer team, fitness group, or one of our many D&D groups - you can even start your own!
Work During COVID-19
In order to keep our employees, candidates and community safe during the COVID-19 pandemic, the majority of our teams are working from home within Canada, with plans to a return in a hybrid capacity later in 2022. All interviewing, onboarding, and most work will take place remotely for the foreseeable future.
SkyBox Labs is proud to be an equal opportunity workplace, dedicated to pursuing and hiring a diverse workforce.
Learn more about us at http://skyboxlabs.com/
Although we appreciate all interest, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Apply for this job
Location: Burnaby, British Columbia
Date found: 2022-11-06
Get jobs like this directly to your Inbox
Create Profile and Get Noticed